Why are my rabbits not eating as many pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bville

Reaction score
I have three outdoor rabbits that are all 1 year old. I have been feeding them Sweet Meadow Farm pellets since last summer. I changed over to the adult pellets that are all Timothy around the beginning of the year, 1/2 C for Pepper, 1/3 C for Fred and Smokey. Sometime last month Fred started tipping over his bowl of pellets. He would end up eating them all off the floor until recently when he has been leaving some. Pepper has not been eating as much since the weather has gotten warm. She used to dive right in every morning, but not lately. Smokey was sick for a while and is now eating all his pellets again so he's the odd one out. He was indoors too while he recovered. Fred and Pepper (the ones who are eating less pellets) seem to be pooping just as much. They seem to be eating more hay. I am wondering what is going on with them. Is it the warmer weather affecting their appetite? Is it the fact that they are molting and instinctively know to eat more hay? Do they not like the flavor of the adult pellets even though they were eating them for at least 3 months? I'm tempted to switch them over to the Manna Pro pellets that I can get at my local Tractor Supply instead of paying shipping on pellets from Sweet Meadow Farm, but I worry about the alfalfa in the pellets because the boys especially seem to get a lot of sediment in their pee. What do you guys think?

I recently went through this with Sophie. She lost interest in eating them about half way through the bag. I ended up buying a fresh bag and now she eats them all again. I'm not sure what was suddenly wrong with the other pellets, it was weird but she eating the new ones so I'm not too worried about it.

Rabbits do tend to eat less as the weather gets warmer and, too, when they're molting. Just watch their weight. As long as it's stable I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet.

Latest posts

Back