Whoever says Rabbits stink...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree. i love bunny smell, especially the smell of their soft hair between their ears behind their head. smells like nice sweet hay :)

At the petshop when I first got mine, I asked if they smell and the person said yes - however, I've smelled Peaches once when he smelled like BO but never since and if I smell his fur, he smells like nothing - unless he's been handled by someone who's either washed their hands or hair - then he smells like soap or shampoo. I can see how they'd smell too if they were laying in their poop all day

Tweetiepy wrote:
At the petshop when I first got mine, I asked if they smell and the person said yes - however, I've smelled Peaches once when he smelled like BO but never since and if I smell his fur, he smells like nothing - unless he's been handled by someone who's either washed their hands or hair - then he smells like soap or shampoo. I can see how they'd smell too if they were laying in their poop all day
Well do you think he smells like BO because he's not fixed? Or is he fixed?

I thought I was the only one!!! My buns smell sooo good <3 (besides their feet of course XD) I love sniffing them (sounds odd XD hehe) buuut, yeah :p too bad i get hair up my nose a lot of the times XD

BrittsBunny wrote:
Tweetiepy wrote:
Well do you think he smells like BO because he's not fixed? Or is he fixed?

This was before he was fixed and it happened only on one day - I think he may have sprayed - I've smelled his butt a few times to see if he smells and he normally smells like nothing - his feet don,t smell either (his litter has a grate) or he smells like whoever handled him last

The only thing that smells is the garbage when I dump out his litter

I think that they stink if they're left for a long time in their droppings & pee - my son has a friend who has two does - unfixed and kept separate and my daughter says that their cages really stink. But they don't have a litter and they do their business everywhere

I still remember a conversation with someone when i was talking about my rabbits and told her they were in big cages in my house, and her eyes nearly poped out of her head and shocked she said "IN YOUR HOUSE?! , Dont they stink?!" to which i replied "UUUMMMMM NOT IF YOU CLEAN UP AFTER THEM AND CLEAN THERE CAGES THEY DONT!" Lol, wondered if she thought i was insulting her,lol.

The only time I've noticed smelly buns is when I go to a pet shop and buns are sitting in filth. My bun used to be smelly but that's b/c his mommy i.e. ME :p was overfeeding him fresh fruit/veg and it made him super poopy. But since I changed that it went away. My bun doesn't smell at all, he is soft and fluffy and I love to place my face right against his soft fluffy head and ears. So comforting :)

I wonder if our buns know to the extent they are loved and how much they mean to us. :)

bunnyluv96 wrote:
I wonder if our buns know to the extent they are loved and how much they mean to us. :)
I hope Wrangler knows how much he means to me! Seriously, he's awesome and I am SO thankful to have him! I know he's not like a regular pet that feeds off attention, but just having him romping around my room makes me happy...even if he doesn't really like me picking him up, he does like it when I pet him...and he usually returns the love by rubbing hisface and down my leg or on my feet :pOR if I sit on the floor he'll come up, rub his face on me, then nip me and run away :biggrin2:I guess that's a sign that he loves me right? LOL :D

&& I am loving everyone's replies! I definitely think a clean bun is a good-smelling bun! I loveee the smell of sweet hay and that's what he smells like! I will admit though that changing his cage is rather stinky (I change it at least 1x a week and he has free range around my room, so it's not like he's sitting in his filth for 24 hours).

Lol, my hubby just complained how much my boy bun stinks - we are counting down the days to his neuter on Monday.

No more stinky rabbit pellets!

I was amused when a few years ago they started marketing dog biscuits with parsley for fresh breath - of course bunnies smell sweet! Miss Hoppy ate parsley every day of her life, and had better breath than most human beings I have met!

I think bunny poop smells a lot like human BO -- not powerfully, but a similar smell. Unlike human BO, it's not really offensive.

My rabbits themselves don't smell. Their fur smells clean and soft. :D

Latest posts

Back