WHOAAA! What should I do!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xila

Reaction score
Ahhh!

I'm typing away at my computer...
And I hear...
Gnawing...
Gnawing...
Gnawing...
Gnawing...
Hard plastic being thrown...
More throwing...
And a dead Bunny Flop.

Now, I love DBF's, so I look over... I merrily see BunBun nudging around one of the keys from his plastic keyring...
Yes, just ONE.

So, Of course, with a quick "What the...?", I get up and walk over.

I see...

Nibble1.jpg

WHOAAAA!
He ate right through his plastic keyring!

:panic:

What do I do!?
I mean, I'm usually fine in a stressful situation... But... This is my BUNBUN!

Now, I'm not sure how much he gnawed, as the ring part can be pulled in and out and moved all around and whatnot.

100_7898.jpg

I think It used to look something like this:

100_7912.jpg
100_7913.jpg

Some pictures:

100_7888.jpg

100_7889.jpg

100_7890.jpg

100_7893.jpg

100_7894.jpg

100_7898.jpg

And don't get me wrong, It didn't just break... there are some VERY distinct bit marks:

100_7897.jpg

100_7901.jpg

So now I have a broken key set.

100_7904.jpg

I admit, the key ring was a bit damaged when I gave it to him (there was a large tooth mark[dog] where it broke just now... I think he worked his way from there.), but I didn't expect him to notice...
(He got this toy a loonngg time ago. By the time I learned more about rabbits, I had completly forgotten.)

Do you think he'll be okay?
Should I get him to a vet?
What if he swallowed a bit of plastic? What would happen?
Should I risk getting him a new key ring?
Can I give him the ramaining keys?

His behavious is pretty normal... He is eating (In fact, he is eating hay as I'm typing this), running around, playing... He's his normal self right now. Could it get worse? How would I know?

And FYI, BunBun isn't a big plastic chewer. His preferences are fabric, wood, sisal, etc... Plastic is at the veryyy bottom of his list. So It's not like he would be able to snap through another one. He likes to throw it and run around with it rather than chew it.

This event happened to recently to see him drink or see if he is pooing okay. I'll keep you updated.

Ah, thank you guys SO much for hanging in there for a little first-timer like me.

:panic:
~Xila

PS; Mods, I was really tempted to put this in the infirmary (fixed that for ya ~bo)but I didn't think it belonged there. Feel free to move.

It should be no problem, Xila. My bunnies chew up their plastic stuff every so often. Just watch to be sure he's pooping and eating hay, but ingesting a little like that shouldnnt be a big deal.

-Haley

Haley wrote:
It should be no problem, Xila. My bunnies chew up their plastic stuff every so often. Just watch to be sure he's pooping and eating hay, but ingesting a little like that shouldnnt be a big deal.

-Haley
Oh, thank you! ^^

I'll be sure to watch him carefully; Thanks! =D (I'll still take replies, though. I did ask some other questions I'm curious about)

I wouldnt give it to him to play with just now, just in case he did ingest a chunk. Just give him lots of hay to chew on now.

I think its fine to let him play with this again. Bunnies when the chew usually only ingest a little at a time, so its unlikely he swallowed a chunk or will do it again. Does he have anything straw or wood to chew on? That might be safer for now :)

Hay, hay and more hay!! It will help to pull any pieces out. Monitor the poop out put to make sure he doesn't develop a blockage.

Does it look like he swallowed the pieces or just chewed them? A lot of my buns will chew on things but not swallow the pieces.

--Dawn

I'd give him the keys and throw the ring away. Watch him for any changes in his poop. Feed him lots of hay and make sure he gets plenty of water. He should be fine.

Wow, lots of replies snuck up on me! ^^

Okay- I'll be sure he's got hay (He always has 24/7 timothy hay access)

I'm not sure if he swallowed any.

Yup, he's got water.

And I'll be sure to carefully moniot his food/water intake, as well as his poops. ^^

And yes, He always has something wooden to chew on. =D Plus, he has other toys. (But that was his only plastic one.)

I'll give the keys to him later, but if I notice anything like this on them, too, I'll take them away.

Thanks for the help, you guys! ^^

~Xila

ETA: Unfourtinatly, monitoring him might be a bit difficuly, as I have to go to bed soon, and I have school tomorrow... But I'll check on him when I can. ^^

Thanks!

I don't leave anything plastic unsupervised with Bruno.. he LOOOOVES to chew/eat plastic.. if I'm not careful, I end up with toys looking like this.. as you can see, the poor bunnies ears are missing because of Bruno! He was perfectly fine after his little plasticear attack..

Zootooitems018.jpg

Spring wrote:
I don't leave anything plastic unsupervised with Bruno.. he LOOOOVES to chew/eat plastic.. if I'm not careful, I end up with toys looking like this.. as you can see, the poor bunnies ears are missing because of Bruno! He was perfectly fine after his little plasticear attack..

Zootooitems018.jpg
That's good to hear! Thank you!

Ooh! BunBun has the same toy!
(Except it's a brown dutch, rather than a white)

Except that's where another habbit of his comes in: He lost it somewhere under his cage. o_O

He has this weird, game, you see... ("Oooh! Le's see how many toys I can fit in that little 1" space inder my cage!")

I have had a couple of my rabbits chew through key rings a lot like that, and they have never had any problems. I don't think they really ingest much at all chewing on hard plastic, I usually find a lot of plastic "sawdust" under the cages when they have been chewing these. I think Bun-Bun will be fine, no worries.

:biggrin2:

Xila wrote:
Spring wrote:
That's good to hear! Thank you!

Ooh! BunBun has the same toy!
(Except it's a brown dutch, rather than a white)

Except that's where another habbit of his comes in: He lost it somewhere under his cage. o_O

He has this weird, game, you see... ("Oooh! Le's see how many toys I can fit in that little 1" space inder my cage!")
OH NO! He's trying to teach you a game! IT's not see how many toys he can fit in that space! It's see how long it takes her to find all those toys I hid for her!!!!

;)

Penelope chews on her plastic stacking cubes sometimes...it never seems to hurt her. Just keep an eye on Bunbun, I'm sure everything will be fine :)

So how's he doing? I hope all is ok. :)Just goes to prove how much quicker the are than we expect. Lol.:?All of us bunny slaves have had such a fright I am quite sure, luckily, it's not always problematic. I have learned that a simple ball with a bell inside and be a threat. Not our fault the runs tend to get so creative with their toys :p

Heh, yeah... he always did find some strange joy in watching me pick up his cage and sweep his toys out from under it. xD

Sorry, guys. I forgot to update.

I've been watching him, and he seems perfectly fine. =D (In fact, he just now threw his carrot toy at me. -_-;;; )

Anyway, he should be okay. Thak you all!

Yeah. Gotta love how bunnies find the weirdest ways to make us worry. xD

An early April Fool's joke, I guess. =P
Silly boy.
~Xila

Latest posts

Back