Who plants veggies/ Herbs for their bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did at one point but I have a black thumb so it did not work out for me.

We do! Although we use the herbs and veggies for ourselves and the poultry and dogs as well so it's not rabbit exclusive. :)

We grow:
* carrot - the little round baby ones that are mostly leaf and only a bitesized bit of carrot as our soil is tough on carrots
* apple blossoms
* thyme - regular and lemon-thyme
* sage
* rosemary
* roses
* borage
* lavender
* day lilys
* lemonbalm
* tarragon
* comfry (given in small amounts infrequently)
* oregano
* parsley - a couple kinds
* cilantro
* camomile
* basil - a couple kinds
* mints - peppermint, spearmint, apple-mint and chocolate mint
* bok choy
* radish
* beets - had a hard time getting them to go though
* peppers (bell)
* lettuce and various other greens (several sorts)
* pumpkins
* spinach (not often)
* tomatos
Plus a strawberry patch (the leaves are good too)and blackberries and raspberries. Obviously a lot of it changes with the seasons. :) We also grow dandilions but that's not on purpose!!!

We grow for ourselves most of the following and our bun gets a lot of variety as the season goes. So far, his favorite veggie treat seems to be the carrots...

carrots
parsley
bell peppers
lettuce
pumpkins
tomatoes
strawberries
raspberries
cucumbers
zucchini
broccoli
mustard
okra
melons
asparagus
squash
sunflowers
potatoes
corn

And we have the dandilions in our yard also ;) Some of these items we offer and he nibbles at (like cucumbers), some he seems to swallow whole lol I grow daylilies as well and did not know you could feed them to rabbits - what part of the plant? I am curious...

Some store bought favorites include Gala apples, nectarines and mangoes... fruits are fairly hard to grow in TN!

PLEASE RESEARCH ALL PLANTS BEFORE FEEDING. Some of what I listed are only safe if feeding the fruit of the plant, some are only safe if feeding the leaves or stalks...

Yes, I know this already.. Website that i have been reading about this.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1803&aid=1638
http://www.petwebsite.com/rabbits/rabbit_fruit.htm

Maverick061106 wrote:
We grow for ourselves most of the following and our bun gets a lot of variety as the season goes. So far, his favorite veggie treat seems to be the carrots...

carrots
parsley
bell peppers
lettuce
pumpkins
tomatoes
strawberries
raspberries
cucumbers
zucchini
broccoli
mustard
okra
melons
asparagus
squash
sunflowers
potatoes
corn

And we have the dandilions in our yard also ;) Some of these items we offer and he nibbles at (like cucumbers), some he seems to swallow whole lol I grow daylilies as well and did not know you could feed them to rabbits - what part of the plant? I am curious...

Some store bought favorites include Gala apples, nectarines and mangoes... fruits are fairly hard to grow in TN!

PLEASE RESEARCH ALL PLANTS BEFORE FEEDING. Some of what I listed are only safe if feeding the fruit of the plant, some are only safe if feeding the leaves or stalks...

I use the blossom or the unopened bud. They are also edible for people and can be scattered in salads or treated the way zucchini flowers are. Yellow are sweetest, the reds tend toward a more sharp/bitter flavor. :)

I grow daylilies as well and did not know you could feed them to rabbits - what part of the plant? I am curious...

Daylilies as in:

20080717_100_4651_daylilies.jpg

I've got these in my back garden too!

Right now there's not much inmy veggie garden, but I'll be putting in carrots, radishes, lettuce, parsley, basil and cilantro just for Gusin the next week or so. I've also got oregano, lemon balm, strawberries and raspberries in the garden. Plus I'm intending to transplant some dandelions from the yard (where they get mown down) to some pots specially for Gus.

Rue

At the moment I only grow basil because I love making pesto, and the bunnies end up with some of the B grade leaves too! I did an experiment, I bought two basil plants and put one in the ground and one in a pot, and in case anyone is interested the one in the pot is doing heaps better!

When I opened this thread I thought everyone would probably be from totally different climates from me, but Amanda you're not that far from me! So I have a question for you Amanda, in our climate what do you find easiest to grow that the bunnies like? I would like to try growing some other stuff, although I'm not sure if it's getting too late to start planting now.

It is a bit late for some thing but many herbs will do okay.

Mints are dead easy to grow, they slow down a bit as it chills so you may need to let it establish for awhile before harvesting. Give it part shade, part sun, free draining rich soil slightly on the acid side of things for best value, though it's not fussy by any means. It gets leggy this time of the year, you just whack it back and topdress with some compost and bunny poo. Chocolate mint and apple mint is a favorite bun food here and great in water for us humans too!

thyme - easy as! whack in ground in a nice sunny spot with well drained soil, water but not too much, mulch, topdress occasionally

sage - quite easy, give it nice full sun in an area that is not bone dry but not perpetually moist, rake in a bit of blood and bone once a year, after it blooms give it a heavy haircut

rosemary - very easy, likes a more alkaline soil so you can give it a bit of lime if your soil is acid. give it a sunny spot and well drained soil, go light on fertilizer

* roses - potted could go in now but better that you spend htis time preparing the soil though and then plant out a bit later. Dig the site up, fork in lots of organic matter, compost, manure etc and let it rot down. Your roses will thank you when you plant! Roses require a bit of care when first planted but once established are very hardy and waterwise actually. Some varities are more prone to issues than others but there are many pretty bombproof ones out there, including some that blossom often and have nice hips as well as flowers.

I replanted some parsley and it's doing okay atm so you could give that a go as well.

Veggie wise maybe give radish a go and many lettuce and greens could be an option. Eden seeds is a great place to buy organic heritage seeds or else Diggers Club. You could maybe get away with a late planting of broccoli if you feed that too? Are mustard greens okay for buns does anyone know? Those could go in anytime as well.

Maverick061106 wrote:

carrots
parsley
bell peppers
lettuce
pumpkins
tomatoes
strawberries
raspberries
cucumbers
zucchini
broccoli
mustard
okra
melons
asparagus
squash
sunflowers
potatoes
corn

Potatos and corn are not good for rabbits at all, neither are tomato leaves and other things on this list.

Also, carrot tops and berry leaves are healthier than the root/fruit.

Everybody is advised to do more research

sas

On the same line as what Pipp said:
I thought all members of the lily family were poisonous?

I grow members of the broccoli family, plus peppers and herbs for my bunnies.

tonyshuman wrote:
On the same line as what Pipp said:
I thought all members of the lily family were poisonous?

I grow members of the broccoli family, plus peppers and herbs for my bunnies.
Turns out daylilies aren't really lilies, but from the familyHemerocallis. The flowers, stems, leaves and tubers are alledible.

Rue

Back