Who has disabled buns (or buns w/ special needs) and how do you care for them?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I'm not putting this in the infirmary because it isn't about a rabbit that needs help NOW and is an emergency - but is instead about dealing with a rabbit that has special needs that affect its life on a daily basis a good portion of the time. I'm really not including those who have tooth spurs because those can be trimmed by a vet and the rabbit goes back to a "normal" life till they pop up again.

I'm thinkign of rabbits who have EC and can't move much - or wry neck - or splay legs - stuff like that.

Here are some questions...

a. What is your rabbit's name and condition(illness)?

b. What special things do you need to do for your rabbit on a regular basis?

c. What things do you sometimes have to do for your rabbits? (ie - maybe it needs a "butt bath" once a week or something like that).

d. How much time per day do you spend taking care of your rabbit?

e. I was on a disabled bunnies list once and they talked about knowing when to let you rabbit go. They said to judge it by the three a's ~ is the rabbit alert, affectionate (with other humans) and does it have an appetite and enjoy its food. How is your rabbit doing in these three areas?

f. Do you ever have a hard time being a caregiver to a rabbit with these needs? (Please feel free to skip this question or any others that you don't feel comfortable with)

g. What advice would you give to someone who has just discovered that their rabbit has a condition that means they will be a 'special needs' bunny?

~~~~

I would like to do a thread on this in the library section with advice from those who have had special needs bunnies or still do have special needs bunnies. For the next week, I'll probably bump this thread once or twice a day so that folks see it.

If you are willing to give help/advice for the thread but don't want to use your screen name and bunny's name - just PM your answers to the questions to me and I can use it without using anything that will identify you or your bun.

Thanks!

Peg

Peg, this is a fantastic educational area.

Bassetluv - & Raphael's photos & blog - were, !! and continue to be :)!!, inspiration as I care for our 2 disabled girls. DAILY butt baths, intermittent abscesses, spackle cecotropes, etc.

naturestee told me of Raph and his wonderful mom before I began posting regularly. I will return to answer the Qs about our 2 disabled girls in a bit.

Lucile Moore and Marie Mead authored a book on Special Needs Rabbits; publication date of March 2008?

Xrays of Karla's legs showed fracture lines after her spay surgery (whereas before her surgery she hopped normal.) She was surrendered as a stray and rec'd/ Panacur as routine precaution at her very first physical exam by a*2nd opinion vet* due to stray status. I can explain more later.
http://www.linedgroundsquirrels.com/DisabledKarlaPhotos_Marie.html
Our second girl suffered a spinal injury.

My hubby is doing wheelchair mod's as Karla's front legs are splaying.

~~ Raphael, Karla sends kisses to you at the bridge ~~

My bunnies names are scooter and angel. Scooter had fractures of both his back legs this past summer. By the way I tried to make him a special cart but he didnt want nothing to do with it. That is how he got his name he did the hindy scoot, so I called him scooter.Angel had wry neck. Well with scooter he pretty much takes care of himself I have to just check on his bottom to make sure he is keeping himself clean. Angel is a very special bun she almost died when she first got sick it started with her one eye and ear then would loose her balance and roll over alot this is heartbreaking to see them do this. You are so helpless. I would put a towel in the cage on the bottom so she wouldnt hurt herself. I would keep the water bottle down low so she could drink. I also gave her a low bowl so she could eat easier. When she was real bad I had to feed her by hand and give her fluids but now she is getting along okay. She did loose her sight in one eye because of it. My buns are alert very loving and eating and drinking. I dont mind taking care of them whatever they need. Time isnt a issue when love is involved. The way I look at it my buns will let me know when it is their time to go. My advice to someone is to look inside your heart that will lead the way. I know what it means to be special needs, My hubby suffer a stroke and is now disabled from that. So I guess you can say I am a special angel to him and my bunnies.

Bunnylady:bunnyangel:

I'm at work right now, butI'll come back to this when I have a little more time :)

Karona, she was dropped as an infant and had a brused brain and a malformed spine. Now has bad sight, a head tilt, and brain delay.

Very, very slow learning. Took over a year to be litter trained.

Ofeten needs to be hand fed, or prompted to eat.

Occasionaly looses blalance.

Needs alot of general attention (like an infant still)

Needs to be flipped over when she falls

c. What things do you sometimes have to do for your rabbits? (ie - maybe it needs a "butt bath" once a week or something like that).

Same as B

Alot!! She sleeps in a wire cage at night (helps grip for balance, not easy for her to fall in) but During the time when we are home she takes over a room of the house. It varries but usualy she is supervised upstairs for about 3-6 hours a day.

e. I was on a disabled bunnies list once and they talked about knowing when to let you rabbit go. They said to judge it by the three a's ~ is the rabbit alert, affectionate (with other humans) and does it have an appetite and enjoy its food. How is your rabbit doing in these three areas?
She is sometimes alert, on bad days she just likes to sit n be alone.

Affectionate, she is only liek that with me, I was her first human contact and the only one she accepeted.

Appitite, sometimes forgets how to eat and requires assistance.

f. Do you ever have a hard time being a caregiver to a rabbit with these needs? (Please feel free to skip this question or any others that you don't feel comfortable with)

It gets hard sometimes. it can be frustrating, I found litter training hard ans I did give up but in the end I love her.

g. What advice would you give to someone who has just discovered that their rabbit has a condition that means they will be a 'special needs' bunny?

Stick with it. its frustrating sometimes and when that happens step back and look at the big picture. I keep a progress journal so when I think its hopeless to teach her things I look and see all the milestones we overcame.

I could write about several rabbits that I've had with various things like head tilt or EC but I'm going to do this one about New Hope and his battle with head tilt, stasis and finally, EC.

Currently he can't sit up on his own very much (unless he's just eaten and is grooming himself). I am currently feeding him about 4 meals per day (hand feeding) along with him snacking on the pellets, etc. that he has available in his reach.

Because I'm trying to get him to put weight back on...he's getting quite a variety of things hand fed to him. His favorite is banana baby food w/ canned pumpkin and bubble gum pedialyte mixed together. He also loves cheerios. He also loves it when I hold fresh fruit for him - like a grape or banana or something. I'm trying to make him have stuff now that he has to "work" for a bit - as opposed to just the baby food mixture.

I also have to give him a wipe down with a damp wash cloth every day or so. He usually does good about not laying in urine and stuff - but sometimes he just needs to be cleaned up a bit.

See above

Depending upon the day it is a minimum of an hour a day to about 2 hours per day. It depends upon how much cuddle time we get in - he has become a cuddler.

He is doing fairly well - he isn't always alert because he sleeps a lot - but when I pick him up, he is alert. He LOVES his food and he is very affectionate with me and stares up at me with what my daughter calls "adoration" in his eyes.

I know I will lose him sometime (I didn't really think he'd make it till Christmas) but for now, I am mostly enjoying all the time I can have with him.

There are days when I just can't spend as much time with him...and I might feel guilty for it - or days when I just emotionally don't have the ability to spend time cuddling with him....so I take care of his needs and pet him a little bit and move on.

Its hard caring for him because in the back of my mind, I do know I will lose him earlier than other bunnies. It is also hard because sometimes either my husband wants time with me or my daughter wants time with me or I need to get errands run, etc.

But ultimately, I wind up spending more time with him the next day and just being grateful he's still with us.

Make the most of every moment that you have. As hard as it is to watch a disabled bunny get worse (and sometimes they can get better).....at least you have a chance to spend time with them and form a special bond with them.

It seems like I have my strongest bonds with the bunnies that have needed me the most.

Peg

Dale is a blue Dutch. He was born with deformed hip joints, so he cannot hold his legs directly under him like a normal rabbit. I'm not sure if he was because he was the runt of the litter (out of seven) or if his disability actually stunted his growth, but he's about 1/3 the size he should be at his age. But he's not scrawny or underfed and he's a pig when he eats, he's just....small.

Same as any really, food, water, and a good pet. I was worried about the wire floor, since he doesn't stand on his feet, so I just lay hay on top of it.

I just check to make sure he's not developing sores on his legs. He's constantly stuck in like a ''split'' with both legs out to the sides and he actually rests his weight on the insides of his legs.

Just as much as teh others.

Dale loves food. And even though he has a disability, you should see him run! I'm not sure how he does it but he's somehow able to ZOOM around his cage. Which is how he got his name, after Dale Earnhardt.

No, Dale is just like any other rabbit....crossed with a gymnast.

I think depending ont he severity you can do some kind of physical therapy reccomended by your vet and it can help some but not completely fix the problem. But Dale is perfectly happy the way he is.

REPLY: Karla, disabled from fractured limbs coinciding at the time of spay.

REPLY: Give butt baths, express bladder, keep tabs on abscesses and friction sores between knees, physical therapy time, give time in wheelcart, wash a lot of soiled rugs, clean room as she isn't capable of using litter pan.

REPLY: Visits to vet in past to have butt shaved, yet doing well with trimming her fur (on my own) and pulling off stuck cecotropes. Butt baths every day for our 2 disabled girls. Occasionally lance an abscess, give metacam and other antibiotic treatment as needed.

d. How much time per day do you spend taking care of your rabbit/s?

REPLY: Several hours. Upwards of 3.

REPLY: Very well.

REPLY: On occasion but her kisses and the bonding relationship with her healthy husbun outnumber any work involved. VET School DVM said "not many would care for a rabbit in Karla's condition." ...true! Not all can handle it. Seeing BarryBear kiss Karla and accept her disability makes you pause and reflect.

With disabled girl Tamm: Suffered spinal injury, much the same. Her quality of life is numero uno. Her zest for life is continually monitored.

REPLY: Join a disabled rabbits forum. Speak to others with special needs bunnies. Many of us care for sanctuary & imperfect pets. Read books on special needs animals. You are not alone... you are an angel to them! Consult with others if you are undecided on their physical well-being? The three A's.
Disabled rabbits ~ and the time devoted to their needs ~ can be the strongest bond you'll ever feel.

Peanut; she had a head tilt, facial palsy (paralysis on one side of her face), and vestibular (inner ear) damage that caused serious balance issues.

When Peanut first became ill I was her 24/7 nurse. She needed to be handfed, medicated, and cleaned. Because she could barely walk without rolling wildly, for her own safety she was confined to an excercise pen with crib bumpers along the sides. Her bedding needed to be changed daily, as she couldn't make it to the litterbox. And of course, she needed a lot of loving and reassurance.

As she grew stronger and re-learned how to stand, walk, hop and clean herself, her care became less involved. Her head tilt never fully went away but she adapted so well that caring for her became as routine as caring for my 'normal' rabbit. Because she had some minor balance issues, she needed to always be on carpet (so she wouldn't slip) and have a low-entry litterbox.

c. What things do you sometimes have to do for your rabbits?

Butt baths were always a constant with Peanut. She just wasn't coordinated enough to consistently clean herself. Those were usually a few times a month, as needed.

During the first few months of her illness, I'd easily spend several hours taking care of her. Once she started to recover, then it wouldn't be much more than an hour of maintenance-type things, like cleaning bedding or medicating.

Well, Peanut was put to sleep this past September, so I can answer from the "other side" of things.

Peanut had been doing really well for almost a year. She had a head tilt and some minor balance issues, but otherwise, she was "normal". And she was a very, very happy rabbit. Then in September, her head tilt somewhat miraculously...disappeared. I was excited, but in the back of my mind, I knew even then that something wasn't quite right. Peanut's head was on straight, but with it all of her old balance problems had come back, she was sleeping almost constantly and she lacked her usual enthusiasm.

I took the bunnies to the vet the following Tuesday for their annual exam. Just the day before I had noticed that Peanut's appetite had dropped off and she had started grinding her teeth. X-rays of Peanut's head revealed molar roots growing deep into her jaw and an inner ear enlarged to over twice its normal size. The vet also diagnosed a significant heart murmer, making Peanut a poor candidate for surgery.

I spent most of that night crying. Every part of me didn't want to believe it, but I knew. I couldn't put her through anymore tests or invasive procedures. Peanut was sick and she wasn't going to get better this time. She went downhill with stunning rapidity. She was no longer alert, did not have an appetite, and while she never lost her affectionate nature, I knew that she was very ill and very tired. On Friday, I brought her back to the vets to be euthanized.

f. Do you ever have a hard time being a caregiver to a rabbit with these needs?

Absolutely! I can't tell you how many times I'd cry in the car on the way home from yet another trip to the vet. I knew that Peanut was frustrated and not feeling well, and that tore me up inside. And, frankly, there's a special kind of exhaustian that comes from constantly cleaning and feeding and medicating and cleaning and...you get the idea. It's not an easy job. It's worth it, but if it's going to work, then you need to remember to care for yourself too. I was no use to Peanut when I was snappy and impatient.

My best advice is: let them guide you.

When you look merely at their diagnosis or their conditions, disabled bunnies are very sad. But rabbits have an amazing spirit and often lead very fulfilling lives in the face of serious challenges. If you're ever in doubt about what direction to take, just spend some quality time with your bunny down on their level. For over a year Peanut lived with serious mobility issues and made it very clear she was not ready to give up. And in September, when she became really ill, she made it equally clear that she was ready to go. But you have to know your bunny to know what to do.

Floppy has a bad back leg. Not sure specificly what type of defect. His hip is turned out to the side, where a normal bunnys leg would be under itself, his is turned out to the side.

On a daily basis, he does quite well on his own. I do make sure he has carpet lining his pen so he has traction. He does not do well on slick floors.

Floppy gets Butt baths quite often, usually at least once a week. I've found the "moist wipes" used for cats work well if it's a fresh mess. He has a habit of running his bad leg through cecals or pumpkin...or other messy things.

I also keep an eye on his "knee" area, it's prone to rubbing. Also need to keep his nails trimmed on his bad leg since it runs into things often. Don't want his nails getting cought on anything. Its only happened once thank goodness.They seem to grow wild on his foot that doesn't touch the ground.
As much as necessary. Not far above what the average rabbit needs.

A+ in all three. He has no idea he is any differant from other rabbits! He is absolutely perfect.

No, while it takes a little extra time and patience I enjoy it very much. Floppy is the most loving, affectionate bunny I've ever known. I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Take it as it comes, in the begining it was frustrating to have to constantly bathe my boy but as time went on and we bonded more and more I get joy out of making him happy and knowing that he will have a wonderful life even though someone else dubbed him 'unfit.'

Back