White Urine....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
I noticed about a month ago that Daisy's urine is white when it dries. I'm assuming it's dry. I don't touch it. I notice it when I change the litter box. Is that normal for it to be white?? I was just at her cage "trying" topet her and noticed where she peed on top of her hay that it is white. I'm worried........Thanks for replies. April

if it dried on the floor and had a chalky consistency (like chalk )

occasionally my first bunny had that and I didn't know what it was and she never had bladder problems
try to increase fluid intake if you want by adding a little apple juice to the water bowl
but don't worry ; this is normal.....

Ok...I'm gonna have to pay a little more better attention to Daisy's pee. I know her and Rascal drink quit a bit of water already. I never let their bowl get empty. I see what your saying. Thanks. :)

All of my rabbits get a small amount of apple cider vinegar in their water every day- since doing this I have never had an issue with bladder sludge and they all like the water.

It can very thick. Smitten hadbladder sludgetwice. Both required vet visits. The second one was an emergency. I stopped giving her pellets after that. No problems with since then.

I find that rabbit urine often dries chalky looking in the summer temperatures and most of the time it does not require attention. However, truly chalky urine will leave a residue over everything and if you suspect the start of calcium buildup or bladder sludge it would be best to get the rabbit looked at. Right now I would take a look at the pellets she is on and see how much calcium is in them. Pellets with alfalfa are also notorious for causing bladder sludge. True sludge looks just like white toothpaste when wet or dry.

I have my 2 bunnies on Oxbow 15/23 , timothy hay, alfalfa hay, and orchard grass - all Oxbow. Haven't introduced veggies yet. Doing that next time I go grocry shopp'n. I'm gonna clean Daisy's box today and look at her urine. See if it turn white after she pees. (or what) .

Thanks.

edit: Being 3 1/2 months she's on Alfalfa based pellets. And she eats lots of pellets. LOl. She's a piggy.

All rabbit urine when it dries will turn white, it's due to there being a lot of minerals and calcium in their urine (Especially with alfalfa being fed). There's no need to be worried or extra careful about it, when people refer to the urine as being sludgy it's noticeable when it isn't dry, or atleast my experience has shown that.

Here's a pic of normal rabbit urine
120_graphic_12urine.jpg

It can have white in it without problems. If it is sludge, it will look like this:
bunurine.jpg

sludge.jpg

Thanks for the pic's. I think her urine is normal then. From looking at the pic's.

That helped me get a more visual on things. Kinda gross. Poor bunny in the pic.

Yeah, the one is gross. Sorry if it was disturbing--I am in the medical/health sciences field so my tolerance is a bit different for disturbing medical pics.

Thanks for asking this question...just today I noticed that a towel I had let Shadow use in his cage after this neuter had dried white pee on it and I was wondering this same thing..so this helped me to =))

I know one time I freaked out big time when his pee looked red I instantly thought the worst...but he had some carrots the day previous and from what I read on the net and on here thatreddish peecanbenormal after having carrots and soon after that it turned back to its normal color...I thought he was bleeding to death or something:nerves1

Ty for posting those pics...its always good to have a visual of what to be looking for espically for us first timers to this rabbit thing. I feel really bad for the bunny though =(

Latest posts

Back