Which vet to pick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So here's the thing:

Hershery needs to be neutered. There is a nereby vet, Dr. L, who has taken care of our dogs for many, many years, who I know and trust. However, his receptionist said he hasneutered "a handful" of rabbits. She said none of the other vets in the practice have neutered rabbits, so it would definately be Dr. L. (That gives me comfort, that she seems to know what she is talking about anyway!)

There is another vet, about 15 miles from my house, who is the vet for the zoo and has taken care of many exotic species. He is also recommmended by a local rabbit organization. I took my infected turtle to him (and all the other vets at the practice ended up seeing her too), because of the fact they see many more exotic animals, but she still died. Now, intellectually, I know it wasn't the vets fault, still emotionally I associate him with my turtle dying!

So, I'm in a conundrum here. Which vet should I take Hershey to! Of course there are other vets in the area too, but I have no relationship with them.

Any opinons?

It's a hard one really. Do you take him to a vet you trust or a vet who is more experienced.

Has this exotic vet neutered lots of rabbits?

If so I would personally go to the exotic.

Hmm yeah - I may go with the exotic vet, but ask some questions to see how experienced they are. How many buns have they neutered, have they lost any, do they require you to fast the bunny before bringing them in (the answer is NO).

Rabbits are so different from Cats and dogs, makes me nervous to have someone neuter/spay them that is not familiar with rabbit physiology. That being said - I totally understand your position. That's a hard one.

:(

I think I would go with the more experienced vet if he is experienced in rabbits, not just exotics. I wish you were closer to the Detroit area, theres lots of rabbit vets out this way (mostly because theres lots of rabbit rescues out this way too).

Its a tough decision, but I think if a local rabbit org recommended the one, I would go with him.

If you associate the vet with death, why not look for a new rabbit savvy vet to build a new rapport with.

Or, you could rationalise it in your head, maybe making a list or a spider diagram, as to what is best for your bun. You are currently basing your decision on your own feelings (which we all do, so please don't take that as a critisism), but maybe trying to look at it from the point of the bun might help you make the decision a bit easier. At least if you did it this way you would know that you had done everything possible to make it the best it could be for the rabbit.

Latest posts

Back