Which should I choose?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rashel

Reaction score
Alright, so, I'm looking into getting my first bunny.

I was going to adopt, but then, while surfing CL (I really need to stop doing that, lol), I saw an ad for a Holland Lop about 50 minutes from me. He's litter-box trained, but not neutered.
Then, my friend comes up, and tells me that her friend has a rabbit that they need to get rid of. She's spayed, which would save a good bit of money, as spays/neuters around here are a bit more expensive, but not litter-box trained. She's about 25 minutes from me.

I've met both of these bunnies, and they're both really sweet. Which one would be better in the long run; a bunny who's spayed, or a bunny who's litter-box trained? :?

Thanks, guys! :)

ETA: Distance isn't an issue.

I would lean toward the one that is spayed. However, depending on how she was raised on the type of cage she is in could make litter training difficult. It can still be done, but adult rabbits can be harder to train than young ones. Where did you meet her? If it was at her current home, you might have been able to see if she goes in one area of the cage as that would make litter training fairly easy. Even with a wire bottomed cage, she might still go in one area. Not all rabbits, even if spayed/neutered will be 100% litter trained. They may leave some poops around the cage or pee out of the litter box.

If you do get the litter box trained one, you should still get him neutered. This can be costly, but can be less work that having to litter train a rabbit. It is possible that he could stop using the litter box after the move or the neuter.

A rabbit that is spayed cannot become unspayed, but a rabbit that is litter trained and become un-trained. I would go for the spayed one and work on litter training.

I agree with Kate, I would get the spayed bunny. May be the owner didn't work with her enough to get her litter trained. There is lots of great info on this site on how to litter train your rabbit.

Kate is also correct that a litter trained rabbit can become untrained. I have two that have recently done this. One did and the other felt she had to do the same. There are never any promises with a litter trained rabbit.

I have a slightly different point of view...

As everyone already said, a litter-trained bun can always become un-littertrained.

Cost-wise, I would say that a spayed rabbit is the better investment, as the operation has already been done.

However, if you are a responsible owner that has already planned to spay/neuter whatever rabbit you choose, I would say go with the un-neutered male, and neuter him yourself.

That way, the spayed female will most likely go to someone who would never be conscientious enough to ever speuter their animal... thus, you could save a future unwanted litter by taking the un-neutered male yourself (who would otherwise likely go on to impregnate a doe).
;)

Yeah, I was planning on having to spay/neuter my rabbit if I didn't get her/him from the shelter.
Darn, both sides are proving extremely good points. :\

LOL :D
Glad you can see both sides of it... few can :)

Why not set up a time to meet each bunny? See if there is somebunny you really connect with?

Yeah, both sides prove a good point; it makes me wish I could adopt them both, lol! :D
As for meeting them, I already have. Both of them are really sweet, though the poor boy hasn't been getting enough attention, and is really shy.
I think I'll follow your advice and meet them both again. That way, they'll be more used to me, and I'll get a better idea of their true personalities.

Perhaps your friend with the spayed bunny doesn't quite know how to litter train rabbits. I think it's fairly rare for a rabbit to be very messy, especially a spayed/neutered one. Plus you won't have the cost of the operation and you won't have to deal with the post-op recovery.

I would suggest arranging to spend an hour with each bunny. See if one likes you more or if you develop a preference based on the interaction.

^^^ LOL!
Good point!
Why not get both, and bond them together :D? A pair of buns is great, especially the male/ female combo... I love watching my pair love on eachother, groom, and snuggle eachother. I can never replace the company of Evie for my boy Stuart, no matter how hard I try.
A bonded pair is pretty well the same amount of work as one lone bun... double the love though :)

I'd LOVE to do that, and under any normal conditions, that would be the ideal, and it really wouldn't be a question.
BUT, it's pretty much forged in steel that we're only getting one bunny. :( So, a friend will have to come later.

Thanks.
We're meeting with both bunnies again soon, and we'll make a decision then! :biggrin2:

I've got to say that with the lops I've had - I really prefer the boys over girls. My experience has been limited - but if I was going to get another lop - I'd prefer a boy.

I personally would go for the Female but thats because as said before She is already spayed and I stress out when my pets go into surgery.

But its a matter of relationship if you have the money to neuter the male then do as everyone has said your bunny will pick you. Storm sure did pick me I only have one.

bengal77 wrote:
Perhaps your friend with the spayed bunny doesn't quite know how to litter train rabbits. I think it's fairly rare for a rabbit to be very messy, especially a spayed/neutered one. Plus you won't have the cost of the operation and you won't have to deal with the post-op recovery.

I would suggest arranging to spend an hour with each bunny. See if one likes youre or if you develop a preference based on the interaction.

I volunteer at a "No-kill" rabbit rescue and I can attest that even adult buns that have been "horribly" messy, once fixed are not. I've seen 7 in my time volunteering and the other older volunteers attest to the fact that "fixing" them 99% of the time makes for a "neater" bun (also a healthier bun).

If you could go for the un-fixed one and do this yourself - fantastic, but if not and this is your 1st bun, I'd suggest the fixed one. Either or - good for you for doing the research and asking a very important questions.:wave:

I thought I'd take a moment here to share why I suggested getting the buck. I hope you don't mind.

I have had two holland lop bucks (one was half lop and half lionhead). Both were sweethearts - very very loving - fun to be around. Even my husband who isn't a big fan of rabbits like I am - loved one of them (and Puck sorta became "his" rabbbit). I have grown to love the holland lop personality - in bucks.

I've also had does. My main "holland lop" doe just bit me - again - tonight. What horrible thing was I trying to do? Easy...put food in her cage. She got through the skin and it HURTS.

Her daughter is nippy if you go to pick her up but she will not attack you when you go to feed her.

Milina - the doe that bit me - was from the same breeder as Puck - my sweetheart buck. She had the same loving treatment there - but she came here with the temperament she has now.

I've talked to a few other breeders who breed holland lops and the comments I've had were along the lines of "I'd recommend a buck for a pet and tend to sell my girls to breeders or 4H'ers who want to show."

I had one breeder (before I got my buck) - that wouldn't sell me a doe since I was new to rabbits to begin with. She felt like I wouldn't want to continue in rabbits if that was my first experience.

Now with all that said - this girl you're looking at - could be an absolute sweetheart. She may never give you a bit of trouble and it could be an excellent match.

But my holland girls - even when they were young and before the adolescent age...were nowhere near as affectionate as my bucks were.

Just my .02

I think Autumn made the best point.

You may also want to take into consideration their futures without you in the picture if that makes a difference.

Is one more urgent? One current guardian more or less responsible than the other?

How old are they? What breed is the girl?

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
I think Autumn made the best point.

You may also want to take into consideration their futures without you in the picture if that makes a difference.

Is one more urgent? One current guardian more or less responsible than the other?

How old are they? What breed is the girl?

sas :bunnydance:
From what I can tell, both families are about the same on the responsible scale, though the boy does get less attention.
The boy is 2 years, and the girl is somewhere between 2 - 3 ... they don't know how old she was when they got her. The girl is an English Spot.

We've thought about it, and, due to a couple of reasons, we've decided to go with the little boy. :) :bunnydance:
We're picking him up this weekend! I'm soooo excited! :biggrin2:
I'll make sure to post pics as soon as possible, but for now, to assuage your curiosity (and my bragging rights, haha) for now, here's a picture we got from them, with their one-year old daughter.

hollandlop.jpg

Back