Which pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitWolf

Reaction score
Which pellets would be best for a baby bun (7-9 weeks) would be the best. From this site~http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2769315&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2769315&f=PAD%2FPet+Type+1%2FRabbit&fbc=1&fbn=Pet+Type+1%7CRabbit&fbx=0 (whoa a long link).

Also I know that the Kaytee brandand Nutriphraseis bad for hamsters since it contians, a perservative called ethoxyquin. I also need more than one food choice since they might not have it, and mixing it is a option.

EDIT: Now I know both Nutriphrase and Kaytee brands haveethoxyquin (a preservative)in them, which is harmful to them, right? If any one wants to see for themselves click on the brand and scroll down Product Details and theres the ingredients. I belive someone was giving there buns Nutriphrase....
EDIT (Again): I like this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755104

i've used NutriPhase from the beginning with Jamie. He seems to like it:?

LadyBug wrote:
Well its not something the rabbits can taste. They cant tell if its good for them. It also doesnt affect the taste (I think..).Alot of people use Kaytee and NutriPhrase without knowing it has that.

I'm not going to comment on either of the pelleted feeds you have listed because I've not used either, but I will give a plug for the pellets I feed.

I use Sweet Meadow Farms timothy based pellets and their timothy-alfalfa blend pellets. I've been using this company for about 6 months now and have never had a problem. I also use their hay and have been pleased with that as well. The pellets are nutritionally sound, not dusty (at all!), and are cost effective when compared to some of the other well known brands. But most of all, my bunnies love them and I have literally cut down on waste 100%! So, I'm happy and my buns are happy - that's all that matters.

Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck. I've heard that Kaytee's Timothy Complete is a decent pet store sold pellet. But I'm not sure how it matches up against other brands such as Oxbow, Purina, and the like. I hope you find something that's appropriate, easily available, and not too expensive. Again, good luck!

LadyBug wrote:

Nutriphase is probably one of the worst brands of rabbit food, and it doesn't come in a timothy-based formula. Best to switch to something better.

I personally use Oxbow (timothy-based) pellets. I have my boss order them for me in 50 lb bags and I get a 35% discount. Sweet deal to me. I might start ordering hay from them as well.

As for ethoxyquin content, that's debatable. I personally don't use any Nutriphase or Kaytee pet food products because of what I have read aboutthe potentially deadly ingredient.

Here is a link explaining why it is unsafe: http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=10698/highlight=ethoxyquin.html

I like Oxbow BBT and Zupreem Nature's Promise Timothy for adult rabbits.

For a baby, I'd go with Oxbow 15/23 or Purina show rabbit alfalfa pellets.

What you should do is buy a bag of what the baby is eating before you get him. You'll have to at least get some from the breeder or shelter so you can switch him to a new brand slowly. Fast food changes are bad for rabbits, especially babies.

Mazuri is the only decent alfalfa pellet in the list. Obviously don't feed anything with extra bits in it like seeds and treats. For future reference, the timothy pellets from Kaytee (most manufacturers use bad chemicals anyway, ethoxyquin or not) and Zupreem seem pretty good although I haven't used them. I love Oxbow BB/T.

A far better choice would be to call around to feed or farm stores in your area and find out what is available there. It's much easier to find quality alfalfa pellets from feed stores because show breeders tend to demand quality food. There are a lot of different brands, but some you might see that are good are Pen Pal, Heinhold, Purina, and Manna Pro. Sometimes you can find places that stock 10 lb bags or that sell by the pound, but that's not real common. That's ok because buying a 40 lb bag will probably only cost $10-15. Take what you'll use in a few months and donate the rest to a shelter. You'llget betterquality and you'll still be saving money vs.buying from a pet store.

I use Oxbow pellets. I can get a 10lb bag for about $20. There is a great pet store in Calgary called Chewsy Pets. They carry Oxbow and other great products. http://chewsypets.com/

I also like Martin pellets. There are cheaper and easier to find. I would reccomend getting them for Paws Pet Food and Accessories, or another store that I can't remember the name of. http://www.martinmills.com/littleRabbit.htm

I would avoid any foods for stores like Petsmart, they are not great for rabbits. Same goes for stuff gotten at Zellers or Walmart.

Latest posts

Back