Which is warmer, straw or fleece?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
During the winter it usually gets down to 10-20 degrees F during the day and around 0 at night. My rabbits have a dog house inside their pen to sleep in, but would stuffing it with fleece blankets or straw be warmer? The flooring in the pen is a rug, so I would rather use a fleece blanket if I can, thanks.

Fleece is warmer, I think and less of a mess, but it needs to be checked daily to make sure there are no holes in it that they can get their foot wrapped in it. If there is a hole you can just cut it out. You can buy a suitable fleece blanket at Walmart for $2.50

I have never tried fleece, but I have used straw. It usually gets below 0 degrees fahrenheit at least once a winter here, and has gotten as low as -20. I have also used hay before because rabbits can eat hay, but straw has no nutrition in it. Hay is said to be warmer, but the cold winds will kill a rabbit faster than cold temperature, so rabbits need to be protected from the wind. Hay in bedding areas should be changed often to prevent moisture from building up. Fleece would be cleaner, but I don't have any idea how much to use, but I would be interested in learning more about it, even though I don't have rabbit outside anymore.

I would say straws, depends on how the humidity it’s like. Happened many times my bunnies fleece blankets freeze because of the shifting temperatures during the winter. While the straw will often stay dry.

Last winter was to march before all the snow was gone. I can already feel winter is coming, but really beautiful seeing the frost on grass and houses when I walk out in the morning.

If it’s indoor then fleece, outdoors it’s best with straw.

One of my outdoor bunny have both because she love sleeping on her fleece blankets.

I would like to say fleece is warmer than straw. But if it's on outrdoor you should choose straw and if it's inside then must try fleece.

Latest posts

Back