Which Hutch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SParrott

Reaction score
Hi

I have now got to split my buns as I don't want to run the risk of Bailey getting pregnant.

I have 2 hutches, one of them is the hutch they will both move backinto once Buck has be castrated (which won't be for another 6-8 weeks).

I wanted to know who I should leave in the hutch that they will both live in eventually, who is more territorial bucks or does?

Thanks
Sam

Does seem to be much more territorial, but I'dalso advise that even when separated, they can still see each other -that will help with the re-introduction.

I'm sure others here have more information than me though ;)

I would put the buck in the hutch they'll both be in eventually.

Does are more territorial and it will be easier to introduce her to his hutch - than him to her hutch.

You can also do things like switch blankies andlitter boxes around. That will help them to adjust to thingssmelling like another bunny. Everytime you change the litterbox, just switch them.

--Dawn

Thanks guys, this was what I thought I should do, but it's always good to get others advice beforehand.

One more quick question, would it be ok to get them out together, undervery close supervision. At the moment they come out in theevening with us and run around our living room, would I still be ableto do this?

Thanks

How old are they? I wouldn't let themhave any time together if they are anywhere close to 12 weeks old orsooner if the male starts to get frisky. Mating can occur sofast with rabbits it's almost insane. It's better to be safethen to have a litter of rabbits that you don't have homesfor.
If possible put the cages next to each other and let them run aroundone at a time. If they are like my rabbits, which have a playarea inbetween all the cages, then the other rabbit will still getplayful even though it isn't running around. Give them lotsof toys that they can play with to. My rabbits love toiletpaper tubes stuffed with hay. Just a few ideas.

Thanks, they are 10 weeks now and I will besplitting them tonight. I feel really bad for doing it asthey are so well bonded now and very happy together, but I know thatthey are going to turn into little teenagers shortly and I don't wantanymore buns so it has to be done.

Thanks for the advice, they will be in the same room but in separate hutches looking onto each other.

Will I be able to re-bond them once my little boy has been castrated, or should I wait until I have had my doe done too?

Sam

Latest posts

Back