Which harness is best for my honey bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alee C.

Reaction score
So I've been looking for a good durable harness for Honey. There is this brand of pet collars, harnesses, and leashes called lupine. I have a collar for my dog, 1 for my cat, and I bought one for my mom's 2 cats too. They are guaranteed for life. So if they are chewed I can just return them, and get another one for free, its really good for the cats because there collars seem to get frayed every few weeks. I would like to get a lupine harness and leash for Honey but do not know which one to get. Which one would be the most comfortable, easiest to put on, and safest that honey wouldn't slip out of it, the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pic?

Thanx

harness3.jpg

harness2.jpg

harness1.jpg

I think the second one would be better. It might be a bit more tedious to slip on, but should also make it harder for the bunny to slip out of it.

The second one.

Bunnies don't tend to like the feeling of things around their necks, so I'd worry about her panicking in the third one.

I also recommend the 3rd one. I have never had a rabbit slip out of this kind of harness. Adjusted correctly and they should not be able to slip out or get a paw caught in the neck strap. I also find that rabbits don't really notice they are wearing it and don't freak out. You do want to get a cat one with thinner straps so it is not too chunky on a rabbit, some about 1/3 to 1/2 of an inch should be good.
The 2nd one can be safe, but rabbits can also get their paws caught in the neck strap. It is hard to get it adjusted right so that you can get it on but also so that it is not too loose. These harnesses are designed for dogs who have more of a chest that rabbits.
The first one is totally not suitable for rabbits. They slip out really easily since the neck part is quite big.

My bunny harness is essentially the third one, and I've been very satisfied with it. You definitely want to get the one that's easiest to get on the rabbit because they will have limited patience. My guy didn't like the process of getting it on the first 5 or so times, but now he associates it with going outside so he's pretty good.

A very strong word of caution with this harness- you MUST put it on right! I learnt my lesson the hard way. Even though I knew better, I really didn't want him to be uncomfortable so I put it on looser than I should have. Because his fur is so dense, it LOOKED like it was fitted on right, but I could still fit 2 fingers under the straps which is TOO MUCH ROOM!
Because of this, he would get a paw stuck in the neck strap, and that's when the harness becomes unsafe! The scariest thing I had happen was when I took off the neck strap to remove his paw (while I was still outside) and because he only had one strap around his waist, the instant he squirmed, he got loose!

So to avoid a potentially awful situation, makes absolutely sure that only one tip of a finger can fit underneath the harness. It might look like it's too tight with all their fur, but it really isn't! They get used to the feeling quite fast, and if you put it on right, you will avoid any mishaps!

Latest posts

Back