Which Cage is Best?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
I am wanting to upgrade my rabbit's cage...that is since he is more than likely going to live alone now...anyway, which is best? He will be living at my boyfriend's house and I would like to keep him in a cage so that the dog doesn't get ahold of my bunny. I can no longer keep Wranger at my apartment because I got fined. I really want Wrangler to be happy and healthy, so please help me make a good decision that will be best for him. He is a rather small rabbit (dwarf), so he doesn't need a ton of space, but he does have a lot of energy though...he is also used to free-roaming (and I wish I could still let him do so...maybe sometime in the future)...I am going through a rough time with all of this (long story) and I need yall's input...thanks.

http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?f=PAD%2FPet+Type+1%2FRabbit&categoryId=2769317&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2769317&fbc=1&fbn=Taxonomy%7CHabitats+%26+Cages&fbx=0

I would do the deluxe pet giant personally I own one and for one bunny its a great size if you look at the second pages of reviews on the link to the pet giant there is my review.

That cage looks very much like the one I started with for Scone after his baby cage which he outgrew, which Natasha is now using. It has a side entrance, which is important so that the bunny can come and go on his own.

It's very easy to start with that cage and add a second level, which doubles the available space without increasing the footprint. That makes it much more comfortable and gives the bunny the opportunity to hop between levels. I put the litter box, hay rack and pellet dish on the lower level and the water bottle and toys on the upper level to further encourage exercise.

All you need to do is remove the wire top and add either NIC panels or wire shelving to extend the walls up. Use a board covered in a terry-cloth towel over about two-thirds of the new level as a balcony (I used an old table leaf). The wire shelving was nice because it had an L-shaped part for the balcony to rest on. Then just put the wire top on top of the new level. Zip ties work fine for securing everything together. When you're done, you get something like this:

sconecage4767.jpg
sconecage4767.jpg

I would recommend looking into building your own. You can usually save a fair amount of money and have something which is tailored to your space and circumstances. I have heard wonderful things about NIC cubes and zip ties. I personally use a pen made from Peg board sections. I remember seeing a thread or two about NIC cube cage designs.
As for THOSE pens I like the 2 Story Premium hutch (just hate the cost).

For about the same money, I would get a dog crate. Petco is having an internet sale with free shipping right now. I have the 48" crate for one of my fosters and love it. It is roomy enough for alitterbox and hidey box and easy to keep clean. You may be able to make do with a smaller one for Wrangler, although I would recommend giving him as much space as possible, especially if his run time will be limited.

http://www.petco.com/product/100343/PETCO-Classic-1-Door-Dog-Crates.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductList_Dog_2-_-PETCO%20Classic%201-Door%20Dog%20Crates-100343

BrittsBunny wrote:
Mrs. PBJ wrote:
I would do the deluxe pet giant personally I own one and for one bunny its a great size if you look at the second pages of reviews on the link to the pet giant there is my review.

I'm assuming that you're talking about this cage?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753350

...I couldn't find your review :?

My review is the second review on the second page. Steph1988 is the name on it. But here is a picture of there current set up. I had two pet giants and I stacked the top cage to make more room because I have two bunnies in it.

49adf1ed.jpg

This is that cage but double stacked

hope this helps if you can build a NIC cage I would in your situation for me I bunnies pee on everything so I needed a plastic bottom.

TinysMom wrote:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753256

I have this cage for my Polish doe Angel and I love it - but I also use the dog crates with a litter box and that works very well too.
I have one of those (I believe it is the smaller one) out in my shed that someone donated to rescue. I would definately go with the larger one for long term use. It's a nice quality cage. The only issue would be that the bunny couldn't go in and out on his own.

slavetoabunny wrote:
For about the same money, I would get a dog crate. Petco is having an internet sale with free shipping right now. I have the 48" crate for one of my fosters and love it. It is roomy enough for alitterbox and hidey box and easy to keep clean. You may be able to make do with a smaller one for Wrangler, although I would recommend giving him as much space as possible, especially if his run time will be limited.

http://www.petco.com/product/100343/PETCO-Classic-1-Door-Dog-Crates.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductList_Dog_2-_-PETCO%20Classic%201-Door%20Dog%20Crates-100343
The one in the picture looks quite small :?and does it have a wire bottom? Thanks for posting the link though! I kind of like the idea of having a cage with wheels...especially if it's going to be a rather large cage! I'm still going to keep Wrangler's smaller cage for transportation purposes!

BrittsBunny wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:

The one in the picture looks quite small :?and does it have a wire bottom? Thanks for posting the link though! I kind of like the idea of having a cage with wheels...especially if it's going to be a rather large cage! I'm still going to keep Wrangler's smaller cage for transportation purposes!
The largest size (the 48") is quite roomy. It's the one I use. They have a removable plastic tray in the bottom. (scroll down to seethe largersizes)

Latest posts

Back