Which breed?/

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyRae

Reaction score
I've had 2 lops. And I see they seem to be poplular. They are just the cutest LOOKING bunnies. But which breeds are the cuddly affectionate calm ones that can be around toddlers? Supervised of course.

I had 2 boys. ONe was calm and laid back. He was a mommas boy. The other one was really really active and he was more affectionate.

I really prefer the lops. For some reason they look like lil puppies to me. I've always loved rabbits since I was little. I caught a wild baby once and had it for a week before my mom discovered it in my room lol .

There are exceptions to the rule, but generally the bigger the bunny, the better they'll be around children. Larger bunnies are usually more tolerant of children, more snuggly, and less active. Also, your children won't be tempted to try and pick them up, winding up with a LOT of scratches from the frightened bunny. Every single big bunny I've ever met has been a complete snuggler, and very affectionate. However, I've had bad experiences with dwarves and other similar small bunnies. They are "generally" more hands off and fun to watch, very active. There are always exceptions to the rules, though... I'm sure there are snuggly, affectionate little bunnies out there, too!

Everyone has their favorite breed, and you're going to get a pretty varied response from each individual, I'd guess. I had a mini lop that definitely had an attitude, but he enjoyed being petted every once in awhile. Definitely wouldn't tolerate ANY handling, though... and he was extremely active.

Well, you can't be for sure just going by the breeds about their temperament, especially if you get a baby. Although some breeds tend to be more 'people friendly' in the end, it comes down to the rabbits individual personality and how itwas raised. My advice would be toget an adult rabbit, so you are well aware of his/her personality. Baby rabbits often change from cute and sweet as they get older (And turn agressive during the terrible teens) and the personality might not do well with little children.

I think rescuing a rabbit would be a good idea. There are so many bunnies that need a good home and there are so many variations within a breed regarding their tempermant. http://www.rabbit.org/adoption/index.html You can find one that would be good with kids.

I have a holland lop that I rescued and she would prefer to visit us on her own terms.I alsohave a lionhead also small that will let us pet him and hop all over us, but not let us pick him up. I won't let me BIL kids around the rabbits because they try to pick them up and scream (in excitement) around them. My cousins kids are so good with them, they know that bunnies only like to hop on and off and do not like to be held.

I agree with OP that a bigger bunnywould be a good option so that they will not be able to pick up the rabbit. Check out the House Rabbit Society website and their chapters for some good bunnies to rescue. They will be spayed/neutered, socialized and will offer resources to help with getting the bunny comfortable at home. They also have good info on kids and rabbits. http://www.rabbit.org/kids/index.html

Good luck...

Some are, some aren't. I used to know a very aggresive holland lop.. and they say they're supposed to be nice. I guess you can't judge a rabbit by it's breed.

Rescuing is a very good idea. Nearly all baby rabbits are cuddly but their personalities often change when they hit puberty. But if you rescue a spayed/neutered adult, you can get a much better idea of what the rabbit's personality is before you get him, so you can choose one that meshes with you better.

Breed standards are about looks not personality. Certainly some breeds have common traits but you can't say x breed will have x personality. If personality is what's important to you the best option is to go out and visit some bunnies! Rescues are great because it's much easier to tell the personality of an adult bun than a baby. So, with a rescue what you see (or cuddle) is what you get. Definately go for an adult not a baby, hormones can totally change a buns personality! Cute baby to teenage terror!!

Back