Which book shall I read next?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which book shall I read?

• Three Men In A Boat (to say nothing of the dog) - Jerome K. Jerome - a comedy, and nice and short. A

• Ulysses - James Joyce - PLEASE NOOO. I'm reading this now but its really difficult. I've read 90 pag

• Life of Pi - Yann Martel - rather strange looking book but was recommended to me by the one and only

• The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - really good book, but obviously not good enough to hold my attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

pinksalamander

Reaction score
I've just finished reading Arthur Conan Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles and thought it was a really good read. Elementary, my dear Watson
holmes.gif

So anyway. What shall I read next? Only 1 day to vote!

NB: I have discounted Eclipse from my reading list because I am saving it for exam time because I'm going to need something to get me through study leave :p

I go with the first one. Nothing like a good comedy.

Teehee. I picked Ulysses. Shove through it and you won't ever have to do it again. And people will think you're amazing for even attempting. LMAO

SunnyCait wrote:
Teehee. I picked Ulysses. Shove through it and you won't ever have to do it again. And people will think you're amazing for even attempting. LMAO

Have you read it?

I enjoyed "Three men" when I read it years ago. If you like science fiction, follow up Jerome K. Jerome with Connie Willis' "To Say Nothing of the Dog" - it's a humorous time-travel novel switching back and forth from the near future (where they're rebuilding Coventry Cathedral - in Oxford) to Victorian times (and the three men in the boat (and dog) do a walk on).

SunnyCait wrote:
I have and I don't get the hype. It did nothing for me, and it was tedious.

But I never have to read it again! LOL

I've read 90 pages so far and all I could tell you is that its about a man who has a shave, eats some liver, makes a cup of tea, goes for a walk and talks to a few people. I really have no idea what is happening. I've finished 1 and a 1/2 sections and I don't know who any of the characters are or anything LOL!

Read Life of Pi, Fran

It Is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!
!!
!

Catch my drift?
Written by a Canadian too!
I have 3 copies, its that good!

3 copies!

I will read it, even if I don't read it next. Its in my pile and I WILL get through my pile before I buy anymore!

Written by a Canadian you say? Well the only other book by a Canadian that I have read that I'm aware of is Surfacing by Crazy Margaret Atwood and I HATE it so this book better be worth it or your Canadian literature will be sinking further in my eyes...

You don't fancy our dear Maggie? The Handmaid's Tale was far far far better.

Tsk tsk...

Anyhoo, put Life of Pi at the top of your pile, and I'll be more than happy to discuss it with you.
Canuck lit is fantastic... however there is a tendency towards dreary dysfunctionality in some of our writers...

HOWEVER.... LIFE OF PI is delightful.
Quit with this vote. I can only vote once, and I'm telling you that Life of Pi is the very best one on that list.
Burn the others.:biggrin2:

NorthernAutumn wrote:
You don't fancy our dear Maggie? The Handmaid's Tale was far far far better.

Tsk tsk...

Anyhoo, put Life of Pi at the top of your pile, and I'll be more than happy to discuss it with you.
Canuck lit is fantastic... however there is a tendency towards dreary dysfunctionality in some of our writers...

HOWEVER.... LIFE OF PI is delightful.
Quit with this vote. I can only vote once, and I'm telling you that Life of Pi is the very best one on that list.
Burn the others.:biggrin2:

Well the ROers will decide! I've heard the Handmaids Tale is better. I really couldn't stand Surfacing. It was a book about fishing, sitting in canoes, worrying, eating vegetables, having sex and looking at lakes. Then at the end she went crazy got naked ran around the island and lived in a burrow? I understand there was a lot of underlying stuff like the American-Canadian relationship and 'returning to nature' and all that, but she LIED to me too which I was not very happy about :(

I started Life of Pi :D I'm only on chapter 5 so I can't really comment on it that much, but the writing style is really interesting. He uses quite a strange syntax structure but its surprisingly easy to read.

Back