Wherever you live, I hope you enjoy the summer harvest!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
I know many of you live in areas where right off the vine produce isn't common. Here, in the midwest, we are so lucky to be able to walk outside and grab a tomato, some brocolli, etc., off the plant and eat it. There's nothing like fresh, vine/plant ripened veggies and fruit.

I have an Indiana cantalope in the fridge right now. OMG! the sweet flavor is like no other..... I hope you can get some of your favorites this season!

Tomorrow, Indiana Ribeye (very thin cut boneless ribeye steaks) steak sandwiches and fresh brocolli out of my garden!

my apples and plums are ripening nicely, tho' a tad earlier i think. bunnies are enjoying our parsley and mint. the runner beans are doing well. next year i think i'll expand the veggies as im pleased with this year's results. my MIL grows her own fruit and we are enjoying her redcurrant jelly.

growing your own seems to be making a comeback here although when i was a kid we grew everything!

I can't grow "food" plants to save my life here. I am limited to flower pots on my porch, plus there isn't a lot of light here.

When I was a kid, my parents had a garden. We always had raspberries, concord grapes, cherries (the tart kind), rhubarb, garlic and chives. We also grew Indian corn (mostly for decoration), pumpkins, tomatoes, bell peppers, and peaches. Everything was just so delicious! Sadly, a thunderstorm took out our lovely cherry tree. Our peach tree was lost to some fungus (or something like that). My mum had back surgery, so the weeding was so longer done, and the raspberries croaked. Now, they planted two little cherry trees and two little peach trees. They are so small, both cherry trees combined can only make one pie! We will have to wait awhile to get enough for a few. lol I can't wait for their garden to come back to what it used to be! :D

I wish I had more space to grow sweet corn and more stuff!

I was so disappointed that the transparent and Lodi apples didn't survive a late frost this year. I love those for making applesauce! What sort of apples do you grow?

We have some little pots with stuff Lexi is growing. I think there are parsley plants in one. The bunnies will love her! LOL!

Mmhmmm gotta love that sum... mmm.. mmm.. mmeer.... ARGH IT'S THE MIDDLE OF WINTER HERE ! :(

OH NO! LOL!

Your winters aren't bad there, tho. Here, we get a couple of feet of snow and below zero temps!

It's still rainy and cold, tonight's not to bad, it's a 1 bun night, last couple of nights though have been 2-6 bun nights!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I know many of you live in areas where right off the vine produce isn't common. Here, in the midwest, we are so lucky to be able to walk outside and grab a tomato, some brocolli, etc., off the plant and eat it. There's nothing like fresh, vine/plant ripened veggies and fruit.

I have an Indiana cantalope in the fridge right now. OMG! the sweet flavor is like no other..... I hope you can get some of your favorites this season!

Tomorrow, Indiana Ribeye (very thin cut boneless ribeye steaks) steak sandwiches and fresh brocolli out of my garden!
Ima coming to your house for dinner!

We've lived in areas where we had enough land to have a decent garden...atm we're renting in an area where that isn't possible (don't think the landlord is willing to have us dig up their lawn and put in a garden:()...my dream is to one day have a home where we CAN plant a nice size garden and put a bunny shed & run next to it...sigh.
Lucky you....nothing like going out to the garden and getting your own veggies.

We are growing lettuce, onions, strawberrys, cherry tomatos, broccoli, potatoes, peas, gooseberries and blackcurrants :)

I am so happy this year! For the first time since high school, I have a proper veggie garden instead of 1 pot on the porch! I got a plot in the community garden, and although I planted it a bit late (last weekend in May, I think? I didn't get it until late), I have high hopes! I picked a sweet banana pepper yesterday, but nothing else is ready yet. It looks like it's catching up to the gardens that were started earlier though, thanks to all the bunny poo fertilizer and worm-made compost of bunny and kitchen waste that i've been adding.

irishbunny wrote:
We are growing lettuce, onions, strawberrys, cherry tomatos, broccoli, potatoes, peas, gooseberries and blackcurrants :)
were starting up a place to grow things... but
we have wild onions- how there got there:?
rassberries- the birds steal them
strawberries- birds agian
blackberries- birds
nettles- sometime soup....lol all of the above found its way in to the garden.
we also have a goose berry plant. but i dont eat them

We are enjoyingour home grownveggies as well as the fresh produce from local farmer's markets.

The deer ate down our green beans, but everything else is doing really well.

Pam

We didn't get our house until mid-summer, so we'll be putting in a garden next year. I have already planted herbs (rosemary, basil, chives, thyme, and lavender).

We've got a HUGE back yard, so I could plant tons of stuff. There will definitely be tomatoes, yellow squash, beets, okra, cucumber. Also want to do lettuces and spinach, maybe a bell pepper, corn if I'm adventurous. Carrots for the tops.

It's just the two of us, so I will have to try not to go overboard!

Can't grow carrots here - the dirt has too much clay I guess and they get all stumpy like.. but I can grow them for the tops as well LOL! My hubby thinks I am nuts!

I go to the farmer's markets here as well, Pam! and we have some Upick farms that are AWESOME! Infact, I am heading out for horse feed soon and go by one that has the best sweet corn around! I'll be stopping there for sure!

We have a little critter (bunny) enjoying my broccoli plants and cabbage! LOL You should see the little teef marks!

BethM wrote:
and 4 buns!

Saudade wrote:
BethM wrote:
and 4 buns!
Of course! They'll probably get all the lettuces! Might also do parsley for them. My big challenge is that Jason doesn't like squash, beets, or peas. :(

Carrots are a challenge here, as well. Our soil doesn't have a lot of clay, but there's lots of small rocks. My MIL has grown carrots for the last couple years, and I think the biggest carrot she got was about two inches long! She sends the tops home for the bunnies, though, and they just love them.

Oh, I'd also like to get an asparagus patch going.

Lucy's licking her chops as I tell her about the garden! So jealous!

I want fresh stuff :cry2.

I live in Arizona and nothing grows here...and well, if it does...it tastes terrible :grumpy:.

I really wanted to grow strawberries this year but I didn't have time in Spring because of exams to get them planted :( My Gran did give me her biggest strawberry from the pot, actually it was my Grandpa who gave it to me, even though my Gran had told my little cousins could have it because they'd had their eyes on it for weeks. He just yanked it off the plant and by then there was no point in saving it for them :)

undergunfire wrote:
I want fresh stuff :cry2.

I live in Arizona and nothing grows here...and well, if it does...it tastes terrible :grumpy:.
Amy, I was thinking of you when I was getting in some tomatoes and when I went to get apples! I know you miss the fresh foods! They really do taste different don't they?

Sweet corn, tomatoes and broccoli are the best when you grow them yourself!

Latest posts

Back