Where should I put the cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostmahal

Reaction score
hello. i am new to this forum& i am in the process of getting a rabbit. i've done a lot ofresearch on rabbit care, food, litter, breeders/shelters and cages,buti do not know where to put the rabbit's cage. is it wiseto put the cage in one's bedroom? i was advised not to put it inthe living room because the smell might guests uneasy. i'm not surewhere elsei can put it. andwhat if i partially keepthe cage in my room and somewhere else; will that cause the rabbit toget fussy?i do want to keep my future rabbit in doors.please give suggestions. thank you.:)

I keep mine in the dining room, but moving soonand wont have a dining room. Most likely will go in the living room. Ithink if cleaned out often enough the smell isnt too bad, and if guestshave a problem with my bunny then thats their problem notmine. The bedroom would be my last choice cause i dont wantto be woke up at night and i dont want her away from all of us duringthe day. Although my husband does live in the bedroom when not workinghaha :)

good luck with a new bunny. They can be fun but also work,

Cristy

Welcome aboard lostmahal,

I'd suggest you put the cage in an area where the rabbit has sometraffic going by and can see things, but also able to take a nap whenthe little one needs to.

The main thing is tonotput the cage inareas that are in the sun or drafty.

-Carolyn

Hi Lostmahal,

JMPO. I don't have house rabbits but I would suggest that you place thecage anywhere that you are comfortable with it. But NOT the bedroom,the rabbit will not allow you to sleep as they are diurnal. They arequite active in the early morning and evening. Though they will mostoften acclaimate to your daily shedule. Best of luck with your Bunny.

Dennis,C.V.R. http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/crescentvalley

Carolyn wrote:
Welcome aboard lostmahal,

I'd suggest you put the cage in an area where the rabbit has sometraffic going by and can see things, but also able to take a nap whenthe little one needs to.

The main thing is tonotput the cage inareas that are in the sun or drafty.

-Carolyn

I agree with Carolyn,

Rabbits enjoy being a part of family activities and not shut away in the bedroom.

Pam

HankHanky wrote:
Hi Lostmahal,

But NOT the bedroom, the rabbit will not allow youto sleep as they are diurnal. They are quite active in the earlymorning and evening.
Dennis,C.V.R. http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/crescentvalley
Rabbits are actually crepuscular (most active at dusk and dawn).

Animals that are diurnal are most active during daylight hours.

Nocturnal creatures such as our little mouse, Ruth, need to be FAR awayfrom your sleeping quarters! I don't know how such a tinycreature can make such a ruckus!

Pam

I'm with everyone else with not keeping your buns in the bedroom.

As rabbits are social animals, they need to be in an area with alot of activity. We keep our rabbits in the living room with us, wherethey can see us at all times. They're indoor bunnies and the cage dooris open most of the time, unless we're gone or it's bedtime. Ourrabbits are very happy buns and love us muchly. :)

If you keep up with the cage, it shouldn't smell. As far as the muskyscent with some rabbits, if you get them neutured/spayed, that will goaway. It did with my buck (let me tell you, it was RANK!)

Oops,

sorry Pam thanks for the correction. That is what I meant but I had abrain-freeze and could not find that word in my files it must have beenlost in the shuffle.

Dennis,C.V.R.

That is a really cute picture, HankHanky. Your rabbits are gorgeous.:)

-Carolyn

The picture above is a Chocolate-Otter Satin showing the underbelly and demarkation.

I think all of my rabbits are just the berries. I am expecting big things from that rabbit. It's a Junior.

Glad you like them.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Blue-Otter Satin

HankHanky,

I love them.

Are you showing again?

-Carolyn

Dennis,

Your bunnies on thier backsare so cute. Its like them saying rub my belly i am top bunny here!!!too cute.

Cristy

HankHanky wrote:
Oops,

sorry Pam thanks for the correction. That is what I meant but I had abrain-freeze and could not find that word in my files it must have beenlost in the shuffle.

Dennis,C.V.R.

That's ok Dennis -- it's just because you are getting old;)LOL The other morning I struggled for so longattempting to construct a simple sentence that I finally gave up(needed a few cups of coffee first).

Pam

Um,

let's just say I am preparing to. I am watching very closely my Jrs. Idon't show my Seniors and I don't have that many rabbits.But I ambuilding the Herd.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Cristy,

there is a trick to it. You hold the Scruff with your control hand andslip your other hand under their Rump. Slowly roll them overmaintaining the grip with your control hand. I am certain that Pamknows exactly what I am trying to explain. This done your other hjandis free to examine the Rabbits Belly etc. It's not a magic act really.I do it to all my rabbits whenever I need to give a spot check.

The background is an indoor outdoor carpet on a table and nailed to the back wall. Gives a nice background for photos.

Dennis,C.V.R.

thank you very much for all of youradvice. it was very helpful. i think i might put my future bunny in theliving room and/or dining room [since it is not used very often]. iwill not put the bunny in the bedroom as advised by all of you. i willjust have to clean the cage & such very often. =]

HankHanky wrote:
Cristy,

there is a trick to it. You hold the Scruff with your control hand andslip your other hand under their Rump. Slowly roll them overmaintaining the grip with your control hand. I am certain that Pamknows exactly what I am trying to explain. This done your other hjandis free to examine the Rabbits Belly etc. It's not a magic act really.I do it to all my rabbits whenever I need to give a spot check.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Yep :) It can be difficult to get any scruff on the rock hardNZ and I try to avoid grasping any scruff on most commercial breeds(although I do on the French Lops & Giant Breeds) -- unless therabbit is rank and not cooperating, I grasp the ear base with my righthand, hook my left thumb in the crook of their rear leg and basicallycradle and roll them over. -- I know it'sdifficult tovisualize, but it's harder for me to handle the larger breeds,especially when I keep getting stuck with tables that are too high forme. Rolling the large rabbits over is easier for me and putsless stress on my weak wrists. Of course, with something likethe Checkereds, it's "wrestle 'em over any way you can" LOL

Pam

Back