Where do your rabbits live?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my 5 bunnies live outside, 3 of them are bonded and they live together in a huge 12 foot by 7 foot by 5 foot run, and my male bunny lives in a 5 foot cage with a 7 foot by 5 foot run and he is currently getting bonded with my 6 week old female lop, but they will only start living together after she is spayed so around 5/6 months old. :)

I hate to do this, but my English lop Annabelle is getting closer and closer to living outside too. Her and the litter box just aren't friends and my house is so small, and I have gates everywhere for her and my ten month old lol where do you live Charlotte??? I'm in Florida, I wonder if the weather would be too much? But the lady I got her from told me she lived on her porch before. But she also had ear mites and fleas BAD from living outside

All of my bunnies live indoors. They are all set up in my living room. Plus we built a bunny run outside so that they could have sunshine and fresh air. They have the best of both worlds.

We live in a small Cape Cod in New Jersey, but it's only me and my husband and our dog, Jake. Before we decided to get bunnies, the first thing we decided was where we would keep them. Winters do get cold and summers do get very hot and humid. When we decided the inside/outside plan, that's when we decided on "size" of the bunnies.

Now in New Jersey, people do keep bunnies outside all year round with no problems. And definitely without ear mites and fleas. You can also consider keeping Annabelle outside and bringing her in when the weather gets bad. There are also many good ways to cool down Annabelle and keep her warm. Also many ways that she doesn't have to live with ear mites and fleas.

I would really look into outside living for Annabelle. There are other ways where everyone (adults, child, and bunny) can enjoy life and not feel boxed in and frustrated.

K:)

You can always send Annabelle up to NH :p

My 4 buns all live inside with harnessed outside time occasionally. We also improved out deck so they can be loose on our porch, supervised (I have hawks that nest out back). We currently have Atticus living free-range on the third floor, his "den" is the bathroom where he does scatter poop. Molly and Gubble have their own spaces till Gubby chills out; Gubby is in a large cage and Molly is in a NIC pen directly under his cage.

Matthias has the kitchen, his den is also a cage. The goal is to have everyone house bunnies in the next year of trying to bond them. Plus Matthias has to be 4 months old for my vet to neuter him, so he can't be around the others without sparing.

Our rabbits are outside. They live in what i like to call the rabbit condominium. It's a huge hutch that my husband built.

Mine live mostly in a bedroom, though Since I now have two buns, they take turns in and out of a cage till the male is neutered. But overall they have there own bedroom. I block it off with a baby gate, during the day I move the baby-gate to block the hallway and leave the bedroom door open, they can hop up and down the hallway, into the bathroom and back into there bedroom.

Mine live in cages I built at night, but go outside during the day in large areas/pens I made in the backyard. They play inside too, but they love the outdoors more and get upset when its too hot or it's raining and they don't go out. Speaking of which it's starting to get dark I should go bring them in...

I know english lops don't take the heat as well as some rabbits, so you could try having annabelle outside most of the time and indoors when the weather doesn't permit. My english lop gets over heated more and colder quicker than my other buns. Letting my bunnies have time outdoors really cuts back on the amount of cleaning I have to do.

Mine live indoors. Love pine pellets because they totally neutralize the urine smell. I clean their cage every day too, wiping everything down which totally helps with any smells.

I keep my bunny in my room

Hes about 2-3 feet away from my bed and im usually in here more then 5 hours a day so he gets alot of attention and running time outside of his cage

I have 2 large cages connected together so its

i would say about 30 inches in width and 130 inches in length ..

Hes pretty good with peeing in his box.

I vacumm up his excess poo and hay and general mess everyday.

Also clean out his box everyday

My little bun lives in my bedroom. He is kind of litter box trained. I have his area covered with some small rugs, when he pee's on the rugs I can just throw them in the wash. While I'm home I let him have free run of my room and have a baby gate blocking the door. At night he goes in his small cage, otherwise he is too noisy. During the days I'm not home, I leave his cage open and surround it with a gate I bought at petco.
This is his small cage
photo4-5.jpg

This is his fenced off area
photo14-1.jpg

Hope this helped :) Good luck!

I have a bun that sleeps in a kennel in my room at night, I have another bunny that sleeps in a hutch in my house at night. During the day they have a huge outside pen they spend all day together because they are a bonded pair. 3x a week they have free roam access throughout the whole yard. This set up works very well. On rainy days they are allowed to hang out in my living room and they are paper trained.

All 3 are inside in the living room. I use a superyard playpen and they can run a part of livin room that also leads to patio whichbis all setup and bunproofed

Currently my buns who are not bonded yet are living in my dining room area. They are in two separate cages but my doe who's 1 has free run of the house, except the bathroom and bedroom. I only let her run around when I'm home as she always finds a way to break through the bunny barriers I have up! My little guy (8 weeks), once hes litter trained, neutered and bonded to my doe will also have free range when I'm home. My boyfriend and I are moving next week and have a separate area where the buns will be so my doe will have more room to run around when I'm not home! I can't wait!

Agnes is indoors only. Her cage is in our finished basement which really isn't an actual basement because we live in a walkout so it has slider doors to get to the outside and windows so she gets plenty of sunshine and fresh air when I can open the doors.

When we first brought her home and I was litter training her, she only had free run in the bathroom. Then we moved to a blocked off part of our basement. Now the spoiled brat gets the whole darn thing. ;) She has been sooo good at using her litterbox I hope that continues.

Now my next mission is to build her a bigger NIC cage with all the bells and whistles :)

I live in a one bedroom apartment with no outside area. Besides it gets insanely hot during the summer. I wouldn't want a rabbit, much less myself, outside when it's 117 degree out. Yikes. So he lives in my bedroom in a NIC enclosure when I am sleeping or not at home and then he gets free roam of my apartment when I am home and awake.

I now have two bunnies, both neutered males. They are not bonded yet (we just got the second one from a student of mine whose family couldn't afford to keep it), so Miller, my Netherland Dwarf shares space with me in my office room, and Buddy is in the dining room, which is next to the office. They are separated by two gates.

My husband and I have been talking about moving the two of them into our finished basement, where they will be much cooler and have more area to run around. The wiring in their current rooms is too old to run AC units all day, and I'm worried that fans and frozen water bottles just won't be enough this summer (we just moved into this house in December).

We don't plan on doing this bunny basement exodus until they're bonded. However, I'm feeling REALLY guilty about putting them down there (we're going to turn it into a TV room for us so we make sure that we spend enough time with them), but the two rooms they are in currently don't have doors (it's an old house with asymmetrical door frames), and it's always a little terrifying for me when guests come by with their dogs (the baby gates don't seem like enough of a barrier for me). Having the buns in the finished basement would be safer, as well as much cooler, and they'd be in neutral territory so Miller (hopefully) would be less aggressive about claiming his territory.

I'm wondering though-- is it unhealthy for them to live without much sunlight? The basement has small windows, so there's minimal light streaming in there. The floor is tiled, we don't have water damage there (it's about a 10 year-old addition), and there is thankfully no mold/mildew, and there is a lot more bunny-proofed surface area for them to run around.

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated, as I'm feeling like a really guilty mom right now! :(

Many thanks!

Latest posts

Back