where do you guys feed pellets and veggies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imbrium

Jennifer
Reaction score
right now, I've got a store-bought cage with a bowl that clamps onto the shelf where I feed pellets and I have to hand-feed veggies 'cause one of my bunns isn't supposed to have them yet, but I do have a second (larger) food bowl to put the veggies in.

I know pretty much everyone puts hay either in, beside or above the litter box... they'll be moving to their NIC condo soon and my second bunny can start eating veggies this weekend, so I was wondering where people normally place their pellet and veggie bowls. (and yeah, I know any unfinished veggies left in the bowl need to be removed after an hour or two :))

my rabbits all have bowls that sit on the floor of the hutches for pellets. Hay gets put in a pile beside the food dish and i always hand feed the veggies. gives me more time to spnd with them that way!

Food bowl is just on the ground of the cage. The rabbits use it as a toy, especially Shiny Things. She pushes it all around her cage. When I put the food bowl in the cage after filling/cleaning/dumping old pelits, I put it in the front of the cage. They do not have veggie bowls yet. When they get veggies I try to hand feed them some but the rest go in the pellet bowl. Their water bowl hooks onto the side of the cage in a corner. I am experementing with different places to put the hay and different hay racks.

I have hay in the litter box, and then in a hay rack on the top shelf of his condo. He also has pellets and a water dish beside his hay rack. He gets his veggies on the bottom floor because it's easy for me to stick his dish in there. :)

Our rabbits have a metal pellet feeder that attaches to their cage. That's where the pellets go. I put greens on a plate and just stick it in the hutch. They devour them up in just a couple of minutes. there are no greens left after a couple of hours.

The pellet dish is on the floor next to the enclosure door so I can feed quickly in the morning (I am not a morning person) and get to work. At night they get their veggies. Every bun gets a small piece of fruit handed to them to prevent their bondmate from stealing it. If it is something wet like tomatoes or cooked squash I obviously put it in a seperate dish. The herbs and leafy greens I just put them on the tile because they put them on the floor anyway. They scarf up greens so fast there's never anything left after even one hour.

I have their cages set up identical pretty much. I have both of their pellet dishes on the bottom level. They are held in place with metal baskets that I zip tied to the side (they use to LOVE tossing their dishes and watch the pellets go flying, me, not so much lol) Their veggies get fed on the top layer, i love watching them run up with such a passion to get it, and its easier for me to place. They both have 2 hay areas. One on the bottom level and one all the way on the top level. The middle level has litter boxes that they dont use *shrug*

Pellets in a dish
Hay in the litter box
Fruit and veggies scattered around the entire cage

ok, so really any old place will do? I thought maybe other food (not just hay) should be fed near the litter box to encourage them to use it. god knows they poop on the shelf with their pellet bowl ALL the time and sometimes even IN the bowl. I almost appreciate the skill of that maneuver, especially with them being so much bigger than the bowl now. almost.

LOL yes, that is quite an annoying skill.

I just do the hay at the litter box because they tend to sit and munch so much longer on the hay versus taking a mouth full of pellets and wandering around while they eat. The greens are gone so fast they don't really go while eating them. I see hay more like a good book in the bathroom.

Mine's pellet bowl and water bowl are on the bottom floor up front, he'd just throw them off the shelves. Hay is in a tissue box above his litter box and veggies are given when he's got out time so I just throw them on the floor.

Right now I feed pellets in the day in his food dish and put veggies in at night into the same dish. Once I make his cage bigger I am going to buy another dish for his veggies. :)

I use bowls that hang on the side of the cage and those are placed in a corner. For the ones that have a level, the food and water dishes are on the level. The food dish(es) are next to the water bottle.
For veggies, I just put them in the cage. I use fleece blankets, so there only might be some hay or fur around.

I keep hay in a rack above the litter box, pellets in a crock next to the litterbox and the veggies I scatter around in his cage or in the room if he's out when I offer them. With some veggies like cilantro, I sometimes just pile them on top of the lid of the cage so they dangle through and he has to stretch up and pull them into the cage. I figures it gives him more to do.

Latest posts

Back