Where do you buy hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybunchof4

Reaction score
I haven't been to happy with what I can findlocally, even at our feed store. Mostly the hay is in little brokenpieces, all dusty, and not in good color. I can't even feed that tothem!

I've been looking online, but a lot of the sites, the shipping is more then the hay costs!

Just curious where everyone else gets their hay! :)

Greetings !!

I buy mine at PetGoods. We use KayTee brand...comes in a 6lb mini bale for about $14.

It's not cheap, but we don't have many feed stores around by us. Theconsistancy of quality has been a problem, too. I end up going thru allof the stock until I find a suitable bag. I've gotten bags that endedup having over a pound of dust/chaf in them. I've complained to noavail....they claim that it's due to "settling in transit" or "productavailablity from their suppliers".

~Jim

I've heard a lot of good things about oxbow hay.I didn't think about the vet, I'll have to call and see ifthey carry any. If not, I'm still considering buying oxbow onlinesomewhere.

JimD wrote:
Greetings !!

I buy mine at PetGoods. We use KayTee brand...comes in a 6lb mini bale for about $14.

It's not cheap, but we don't have many feed stores around by us. Theconsistancy of quality has been a problem, too. I end up going thru allof the stock until I find a suitable bag. I've gotten bags that endedup having over a pound of dust/chaf in them. I've complained to noavail....they claim that it's due to "settling in transit" or "productavailablity from their suppliers".

~Jim

Yup, that's the same problems I've been having too, also with KayTeebrand. Exactly, with the pound of dust and all! For what they chargefor such small bags you'd think you could get better quality!

bunnybunchof4 wrote:
I've heard a lot of good things about oxbow hay. I didn'tthink about the vet, I'll have to call and see if they carryany. If not, I'm still considering buying oxbow onlinesomewhere.

There's a store locator on the Oxbow site www.oxbowhay.com

I was able to locate a store about 15 minutes from me.

~Jim

JimD wrote:
bunnybunchof4 wrote:
I'veheard a lot of good things about oxbow hay. I didn't think about thevet, I'll have to call and see if they carry any. If not, I'mstill considering buying oxbow online somewhere.

There's a store locator on the Oxbow site http://www.oxbowhay.com

I was able to locate a store about 15 minutes from me.

~Jim
Hey thanks Jim! I actually found one that's really close by too. I'llhave to make a run over there today and see what they have. Gotta bebetter then what I've been getting!

Jennifer

Oxbow has great hay! I go through alot of hay with four buns, so I order 50 lb boxes of timothy plus somesmaller bags of other types directly from the site. It'scheaper per pound when you buy in bulk. Last time I ordered,I got it in 3 days.:bunnydance:

My buns used to eat Kaytee timothy too, and they went nuts when they got their first taste of Oxbow hay.:D

Pebbles isn't much of a hay eater. She will eat it if there is nothing else to eat.
The first time I mailordered Oxbow Timothy Hay, the shipping cost more than the Hay!
And Pebbles would turn her noseto it. :mad:

So I just buy whatever Hay at the petshops, but lately some of the breeders that Imet
are happy to give me their Hay that they feed their bunnies. :)
Rainbows! :bunnydance:

I get Miffy's from the little feedstore where she was bought from, just the smaller (not sure of thesize) bags of Oxbow Timothy Hay and she seems to have no problems withit.

Talk about frustrating! I went to two of thethree places listed on the oxbow website, that said they carry theirproducts. The first one didn't carry it after all, and the second isn'tthere anymore. Was a construction company, LOL. Don't think they havehay there!

The third is my feed store that I get their pellets from and I've neverseen Oxbow there. But I am going to call them tomorrow and ask, maybeI'm just not seeing it or it's stored somewhere else!

May have to give in and buy online at this rate! I just can't do the Kaytee anymore!

bunnybunchof4 wrote:
Talk about frustrating! I went to two of the three placeslisted on the oxbow website, that said they carry their products. Thefirst one didn't carry it after all, and the second isn't thereanymore. Was a construction company, LOL. Don't think they have haythere!

The third is my feed store that I get their pellets from and I've neverseen Oxbow there. But I am going to call them tomorrow and ask, maybeI'm just not seeing it or it's stored somewhere else!

May have to give in and buy online at this rate! I just can't do the Kaytee anymore!

I inquired about the erroneous listings on the site. They said thatsome distributors only carry certain products, but should be able toorder whatever you need. In some cases the distributors close or moveand don't inform Oxbow. They suggest contacting the distributor priorto going there.

~Jim

Your feed store might be able to order yourOxbow stuff for you. I used to order the big hay boxesthrough a pet store that sold the smaller bags. It mightdecrease the shipping.

Back