When will the hormones settle?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummybunny

Reaction score
Munchkin, our new bunny was neutered 3 weeks ago,he has settled somewhat but is still spraying pee on Miffy and tryingto hump her - her head, her side, her butt whatever...

She is abig Frenchlop and he is a NetherlandDwarf!! He also honks lots at her. Sometimes he settles and vigourouslynibbles her head. Generally she lies on the ground and reluctantlygives in until we rescue her - I wish she would 'mumph' him.

At least they havenever fought though so that's good news.Anyone any ideas? Will he settle eventually? We thought he would bynow Ithink he loves her, but she is not so sure - poor Miffy.

Three weeks may be a bit soon for such a "lusty"guy, eh? It does take several weeks, like six or eight for the hormonesto disappate completely. Having said that, though, he stillwill be a buck and may still act in a "buck" manner at times.

Our Calbert, who was fixed about two years ago, still mounts, orattempts to mount, our doe, Missy. She just sloughs himoff. On the other hand, he no longer sprays like he first didwhen we first got him about six/seven months ago.

I suspect things will improve somewhat in the not too distant future,but don't epect 100% compliance with your expectations. It isbetter for him healthwise and will serve to prolong his life...time ofbothering Miffy!

No! No! Only kidding!

Buck

Thanks Buck, good to know it still may take a bitof time yet. I know his 'buck tendencies' won't disappear altogether,but it'll be better for Miffy if she realises that every time she seeshim, he is not going to spray her and try to hump her!!

Posted: Wed Oct 20th, 2004 08:47 pm

button2_left.gif

spacer.gif

Edit
button2_right.gif

button2_left.gif

spacer.gif

button2_right.gif

button2_left.gif

spacer.gif

button2_right.gif

Just going to throw this in for discussion among people who know a bitmore about theinnards of a rabbit than I do.Evening Primrose Oil softgels are used a whole lot in skunks to helpcontrol raging hormones, both before neutering & spaying, andafter, when there are hormones still racing thru their bodies.

- Dolores

I posted this on "Getting Frustrated", I think. It helpstremendously. Rabbits have a very sensitive makeup,as do skunks. For the skunks, this was not prescribed by avet.....hard sometimes to find a vet who is knowledgable aboutskunks.....but was suggested by a lady who has worked with &researched skunks for a very long time. There arepeople who have over 10 (18) skunkers living in their home, and theyhave found that using the Evening Primrose Oil really cuts down on manyunwanted behaviors. Bushie, my skunker loves thesoftgels...eats the whole thing...looks for it in his food dish.

It's been several years since I've had a house rabbit, and he was onlyone rabbit. I didn't experience the things I read about here,thank God! Rabbit urine is the worst!

I wouldn't have stepped in and said something again, but I'm seeingmore & more talk about these problems. I honestly don't know ifit will help rabbits...but think it might. I don't know arabbit's tolerance for this. (It's manufactured for humansfor PMS.) I do know that it does not hurt a skunker, and I doknow that it helps! There are many skunkers who are ingesting4000 mg of this per day.....250 mg per softgel.

Spaying & neutering do not have immediate effects, as many ofyou are experiencing. For the skunkers, it has been said thatit takes 16 weeks to get all the hormones cleared out.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the rabbits makeup could investigate this???

Good Luck!!!!!

- Dolores

Latest posts

Back