When to wean?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieRenee33

Reaction score
Willow's babies are 5 weeks old tomorrow, and Its come to that dreaded time to wean, sex and find new homes :cry1::cry1:

When do you guys do all this?

I usually have mine sexed and rung by that age then it depends on how mama behaves with them. I generally like to leave them with mum for as long as possible and sometimes I will run any girls on with her. I always prefer to take them up to 8 weeks with mum if possible tbh and then remove the boys from her and give the girls another week or so but most of my does love their babies. If they are starting to look a bit fed up of it all I will take them away anytime between 6 and 8 weeks.

What breed are they? I take 1/2 my mini rex babies out at 6 weeks and half out at 7 weeks. I feel like this gives mama a chance to dry up more if she hasn't been doing a good job of weaning them herself. I don't sell them until after 8 weeks though. I ususally sex them and pre-cull (choose for sure pets) at 5 weeks.

I try sexing as soon as possible.
You can try, but you may not be able to tell boys from girls until they're about 8 weeks, even older.
I start weaning the exact day the babies turn 6 weeks old.
They are usually completely weaned by 7 1/2 weeks, to 8 weeks of age.

As for finding them new homes, I would start advertising now, and say when the babies would be available, etc.

Emily

Latest posts

Back