When to stop alfalfa.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alfalfa can be used throughout their lifetime if they are not receiving it in the form of pellets.

If they are eating a high quality pellet as their primary diet,they should not also be given alfalfa.

It is important to balance the diet and provide a variety of foods in moderate quantities.

Pam

I agree with what Pam has said. We would like to switch ours to timothy based pellets too, but they turn their noses up at them and would rather starve than eat them! I have two extremely picky eaters on my hands (they won't go near fruits or veggies either) so they are maintained on an alfalfa based diet. I can only assume that this is okay as ours are very small, active rabbits that have trouble keeping weight on, and both of the breeders we bought them from fed alfalfa pellets to all of their rabbits (young and old). I am still a bit confused on the debate of alfalfa versus timothy though. Maybe time will tell...

I think the age that you would switch to a timothy based pellet is around adulthood...at the point when the rabbit is done growing. This varies by breed. Smaller breeds reach adulthood faster (about six months) than larger breeds (maybe 1 year for larger breeds?)

I have them all under one cage and they vary in age (by about 2 months or so) so i was going to just give them all alfalfa for now. I just ordered Oxbow 15/23 from amazon to give them. I did that because I know what is in it and it would save me some money too. I think im giving them good stuff but i dont know japanese so i get the bag with the little bunny picture on it.

We recently switched ours to Oxbow 15/23 and they love it. I was surprised since they are so picky about food. We still have a bag of Oxbow Bunny Basics Timothy left over from when we tried to switch them to timothy pellets in the past. We're planning to give it another try in the future by mixing half Oxbow 15/23 and half Oxbow Timothy.

This is what i am using now, until my oxbow arrives.

Photo23.jpg

Latest posts

Back