When to re-breed???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydaw_95

Reaction score
when does everyone re-breed their rabbits after they give birth? I see some people re-breed their doe when her kits turn five weeks old so when she comes off that litter she will have another one in a week. Some others wait 2 weeks after they take the babies away. What do yall do?:?:?:?

Actually, most people wean at 6 weeks, for hollands and the other dwarf breeds. So the doe would have 3 weeks after she weaned them.

I do not have a set way, I just breed when I need to. It might be three weeks after they are born or a month after they are weaned and anywhere inbetween. Just breed as you need. If you can not house the babies with them in their own cages until they are sold then you should not breed until you have room. That is unless you have a good market.

Depends on the situation in my rabbitry.

If the doe lost her litter, she'll be bred the next day as long as she looks healthy, and her bits are mostly back to 'normal.'

The next criteria here is if I need a litter by a certain time. Like for my fair coming up, I have to have the does bred by a certain date. They're all due to kindle any day now... So they will be rebred when the kits are 5 or 6 weeks. Earliest would be 3/4, if need be. (I haven't done the math. I believe they'll have 5 weeks, but I can't remember for sure.)

Just like the fact that I tend to let my does wean their babies. That, or when the buck's start fighting, and theres interest in brother/sister. Usually 12 weeks is about the latest.

=D

If I have a real need to re-breed I wait until after the kits are 8 weeks old and the dam has been removed from them, so long as she is in good condition that is.

Latest posts

Back