When to introduce bunnies to older rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two 6 month old rabbits, the male is neutered, but they ended up having bunnies before the surgery. We now have 6 babies (3 weeks old). We have a large outdoor enclosure (no individual hutches) where the two rabbits lived before, but we brought the mom and babies in when they were born. We will be keeping a few of the bunnies. When can I safely introduce them all?

You mean introduce the neutered male to the mom and babies? How long ago was he neutered? And has he and the mom had any contact since you separated them when the babies were born?

He was neutered about 2 months ago (she got pregnant I think a day or two before the neuter). I have not had the two older rabbits together since bunnies were born. Should I? Bunnies are now 3 weeks, so I can introduce food, so maybe I can have mom with neutered man during the day? I am not sure how this next part goes. We were not planning on bunnies.

I would start with the mom and dad, and do it as if you were doing a bonding session. Then gauge how well they do together and if they remember each other. If they do and they go back together with no aggression or issues at all, then I would do a simple intro of the babies behind a fencing panel so they stay protected, and to see how your male reacts to them without risk to them. If he is anything more than perfectly fine with them being around, I wouldn't try and have the dad around the babies at all. You just don't want to risk any aggression at all on his part, or you risk the babies being injured. Better they not have time together than risk that.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Ok! Looking forward to Emma and Smalls getting a chance to hang out today!
Wondering though, since we have only one enclosure, if they don't get along, we should bjist not keep the babies? Is there a way to work on bonding them?

Latest posts

Back