When to Give/Stop Sub-Qs???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I've been giving Emma sub-Qs once or twice daily (30 cc's each time) for the past several days', depending upon how much fluid we get into her via syringe throughout the day. (She's been drinking very little water on her own.)

Can I continue giving her sub-Qs until she can see the vet this Friday? I don't even know if I'm giving her quite enough fluids; she's been drinking so much less water than normal on her own.(We gaveher 30 cc's yesterday; but 30-45 cc's, or so, isn't enough for a 3.4-lb. bun.)

I'm concerned that if she doesn't get enough fluids, the Reglan she's currently taking will cause her pain/problems. But I also wonder if the sub-Qs make her feel less thirsty, thus causing her to drink less on her own.

I just want to be sure that she has enough moisture in her system for the Reglan to
do its work, thatshe remains hydrated and comfy until the vet can see her (this Friday) and run the same tests that she previously had run by another vet.

Jenk

I don't know what to tell you. I would check on etherbun too because of the new years not as many people will be on. I am off for the night myself.

I would agree, if you are giving her sub-q, and she's hydrated she may not drink as much on her own.

I would also think that if you are sub-q'ing her and her body doesn't need it that her body would get rid of it via urine output as long as she's still doing so that is. Otherwise I would think you could tell if she's retaining it as she'd stay puffed up with the water retention.

Hopefully that makes sense....

With the appt a lil over a day away, I think I'd continue to hyrdrate w/ sub-q if she's not drinking much on her own.....I would think there would be more potential for damage w/ dehydration than hydration.

Hope she is better soon!

CorkysMom wrote:
With the appt a lil over a day away, I think I'd continue to hyrdrate w/ sub-q if she's not drinking much on her own.....I would think there would be more potential for damage w/ dehydration than hydration.

Hope she is better soon!
To make a liar outta me, she drank a decent bit of water (likely while I was typing my question here :?).For this reason, I'm holding off with giving her sub-Qs tonight; I want to see what she consumes overnight and, then, gauge early tomorrow morning if she might need another "pick-me-up." Hopefully, she won't...

BTW, I want to let you know that I've read your story about Corky (maybe a year ago), and I cried my eyes out from both sadness and relief. In the end, I'm glad that you've shared it with other bun owners (and pet owners in general).

I'm glad she drank, hopefully she's still doing so this morning!

Thank you for letting me know you read Corky's Story...writing that was one of the hardest things I've ever done, it really made me re-live it....it took awhile to get thru writing it! If it helps even one person realize the strength and will to live these bunnies can have, then it was worth it!

CorkysMom wrote:
I'm glad she drank, hopefully she's still doing so this morning!
She's not yet drinking her "normal" amount, but she is drinking water (both plain and some flavored with a little Critical Care). So I've stopped the sub-Qs, gauging things by her thirst level.
Thank you for letting me know you read Corky's Story...writing that was one of the hardest things I've ever done, it really made me re-live it....it took awhile to get thru writing it! If it helps even one person realize the strength and will to live these bunnies can have, then it was worth it!
I can understand the difficulty of having to re-live such a life experience. But do you not, in some sense, feel stronger from both having lived through and written about it? I would certainly hope so! And, yes, I am definitely grateful that you've shared it. :D

Glad she's drinking!

Yes I guess maybe it did, having got thru it w/ him has definately made me understand alot more about rabbits and vetting them etc. It's definately helped my others!

Latest posts

Back