When rabbits spray....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
When Marlin is running around our bedroom, he likes to visit with Brody by his cage...then I smell this awful skunky smell.

Is that him spraying Brody?! Does the "spray" fly all over my walls and stuff? I never see anything wet on the ground...and I have felt, still...nothing.

When I get Marlin neutered next month, will this spraying crap stop? lol

:cool:

Haha, yeah after neuter it should stop. I've never had a bun spray before though. Any chance what you're smelling could be either the scent glands or that smell they like to let off when they feel the need? That was most recently discussed, I didn't know there were actually two different things going on there:shock:.

Here's the thread on it, hee:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28903&forum_id=1

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Any chance what you're smelling could be either the scent glands or that smell they like to let off when they feel the need? That was most recently discussed, I didn't know there were actually two different things going on there:shock:.

WHAT? lol. They let off a "smell" :shock:? I suppose it might be his scent glands, but wouldn't I smell "that smell" all the time? The only time I smell "that smell" is when he is by Brody's cage or when Brody is by his cage.

Hrm...will we ever solve the mystery of...

"THAT SMELL"?

undergunfire wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Any chance what you're smelling could be either the scent glands or that smell they like to let off when they feel the need? That was most recently discussed, I didn't know there were actually two different things going on there:shock:.

WHAT? lol. They let off a "smell" :shock:? I suppose it might be his scent glands, but wouldn't I smell "that smell" all the time? The only time I smell "that smell" is when he is by Brody's cage or when Brody is by his cage.

Hrm...will we ever solve the mystery of...

"THAT SMELL"?
lol. Well, if that's when you smell it (they're around each other's cages), it does sound like that could be it and not spraying:laughsmiley:. I've never smelt "that smell" though, thank goodness:shock:. Naturestee can tell you all about it though:p. What do you think Naturestee?

If I'm not mistaken, one of the timesthey use their scent glands iswhen marking their territory... So when he sees Brody, he marks around to let him know he's there. I know that Queen Velveteen does it when she goes by Wiggles now. Lol. But no, you don't have to smell it all the time. It just makes the poop smell stronger when they choose toapply the special scent :p

MsBinky wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, one of the timesthey use their scent glands iswhen marking their territory... So when he sees Brody, he marks around to let him know he's there. I know that Queen Velveteen does it when she goes by Wiggles now. Lol. But no, you don't have to smell it all the time. It just makes the poop smell stronger when they choose toapply the special scent :p
Yep, exactly!

Bo is neutered and he still does it.

I was holding Bo tonight and the cat was up near me. He did the scented thing (gag!) and I said "BO! you don't need to claim me again!"

I went to give Tony a bite of Kale and Tony was really ticked and sniffing all over me......

Now I have TWO of them being nasty to me if they smell the other one.

Hrm, I guess Marlin is going to be a skunk for Halloween now :roflmao:.

TOO FUNNY!

Sometimes I tell Bo that he's a skunker butt!

It's more like rotten garlic and onion flavored skunk. :yuck

Eww...onion-flavored skunk...haha!!

Maisie does this...has done it like MAD since Fiver got home. I think she's letting him know I'm HER HUMAN...hehe!! Thankfully, at least with her, the smell dissipates really quickly. :)

Now, Fiver...that boy's SPRAYIN'. I was planning on taking a picture of our hallway door, which is next to his cage (note: on the same wall his cage is up against...meaning he sprays at a diagonal...I'm not sure HOW he does that). I'm sure there'll be more tomorrow...but I cleaned it off just tonight because we had our weekly D&D game. :)

BUT...I'll take a picture when he does it a bit more (which will be...oh...tomorrow, probably).

Silly boy! (Reminder to self: keep mouth CLOSED when feeding Fiver!!)

:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back