when is mounting too much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
as alot of you all know i am trying to bond Sooty and Belle, i have been doing it for 3 days now, i know not long at all we are just in the begining. I put them in a pen across the room from there cage, and as soon as they are in there together Sooty mounts Belle, normal i know, but how many times is this going to happen, i think she gets it that he is dominant,lol.

He is like a jealous boyfriend,lol, anytime she moves he is on her humping her, when will it stop?

This is what happens,

-i put them in the pen and he goes right to her and mounts her, she is ok with it, i only intervine if he mounts her head and wont get off

-he will walk away to pee, eat, poop, or anything he wants but as soon as she moves he goes right to her and if she doesnt get down he mounts her, if she lays down then he lays next to her.

-she licks him and tollerates the mounting

-right now they session for about 2-3hours, as long as i feel like they are doing ok.(first session was 1/2 hour, then later that day it was 1 hour, the next day the morning session 1 hour, and the night one was 2 1/2 , i was planning on increasing it every time a little so long as it is going ok)

Should he still be mounting her, and not letting her move? When is it too much?

let me tell you if this was how human men acted i would be single because it is nerve wracking,lol.

As long as Belle doesn't look stressed or scared it should be okay.

How long has it been since they've been fixed?

It is normal for humping to be very frequent during the early bonding. As long as no one is stressing out or fighting back it's okay.

--Dawn

I'm dealing with the same situation myself, but we've been at it for weeks!

Penny and Shadow have been playing together for a couple of hours each night and have been doing really well, except Mr. Humpy McHumper won't stop the mounting! They've both been fixed for over a year, so I know it's not hormonal.

I've noticed they haven't been grooming each other and I wonder if that's his way of telling her to groom him?

I'm dying for them to move in together, but I won't subject Penny to his antics 24 hours a day. I just couldn't do that to her.

She's gotten smart and jumps up in the chairs to avoid his "unwanted behavior". He can't jump and she knows it. It's pretty funny to watch. He just sits on the floor, staring up at her.

well Belle has been fixed for months now, but Sooty is just newly snipped, about 2-3 weeks. She is ok with it , its just more annoying to me,lol. Last night went well, after a little bit in the pen they are completely relaxed, and he will let her move,breath and blink without humping her,lol. major improvements. i want them to live together happily ever after, and they are so cute, they have been cleaning each other, it is so cute, so oncethe humping subsides i will be happy.

thanks for the replies, i just wanted to make sure that he wasnt just super humpy,lol, and make sure that it wasnt a bad sign that he wouldnt chill,lol.

If he's only been neutered for 2-3 weeks, the humping may still be hormonal driven.

You can try gently moving him off and showing him how to interact with out humping. Put them nose to nose or side by side and pet them both at the same time.

If it is hormonal driven, it should ease up in the next few weeks.

Keep doing bonding sessions and as long as Belle is not stressed it should be fine.

--Dawn

Even after a neuter, hormones and testosterone can remain forapprox. 2months. I'd wait a while longer. Are you switching their litter pans to get them accoustomed to each other's smells? Keeping them side by side, with housing units a few inches apart? With bonding, don't rush things.

Boys have LOTS of hormones lingering yet,post neuter. Newly Neutered boys can impregnate an unspayed female becausethe "seed"is still present. Give him more time.

Keep the sessions short and sweet when you begin in another few weeks or two months. (avoid grudges and retaliation of "stop that you fiend!-get away from me!!)

BarryBear mounted Karla 13 x before his boymind finally settled down. And both were altered at the appropriate age and well past their post-alteration wait period.

Karla didn't mind his affection and that's a good sign that your girl didn't despise his humper'ing.

* Dominance concerns with females, and boy hormones.* yeesh. Good luck and please keep us posted,

From my experience, TF

Latest posts

Back