when is hay cut on the East coast for the first time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
I am in Pa when is hay usually cut for the first time? I just got three bales of hay and it is crappy looking and dusty as heck, the guinea pigs like it but i think Belle is only picking at it. It smells ok, not moldy or a nything but i was wondering when the hay will be cut again so that i can get a fresh couple of bales. I might have to go to the local small shop here and get some hay to mix with what i have

I've just started to see ads for hay being sold in our part of the country (south carolina)

A decent first crop hay should be cut around the first week of June here in PA. For most rabbits a first cut hay is fine, especially if they are full grown already. Personally, I use a lot of second crop hay because we give it to our youngsters and horses.

Also, alot of people let the first crop go too long and it gets seedy and dry- watch for this because it's not as high of a quality.

I just ordered 50 lbs of oxbow timothybecause I had to order critical care and some BBT so went ahead and got the hay because I had heard from several that the recent hay was really nice.

I got the hay and it is very nice and green and really looks way better than it has in the past.

I thought this hay was from Nebraska soI don't get it.

Where do they get this nice fresh green timothy in the middle of March
can anyone clue me in. ?? :?

It's possible that the ads right now are actually farmers trying to sell off last years hay.

I sure can't tell you when to expect fresh stuff, around here it's June/July, LOL. This is why we only get 2 cuts of hay in Alberta.

Latest posts

Back