When is a good time for a Husbun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDShorty

Reaction score
I've had my Dori since July. I feel like she's gotten accustomed to my apartment, even though she's been a naughty girl and chewed up the crud out of my carpet, LOL. She still doesnt like to be picked up, but she is happy laying at my feet having me give her a head and back massage with my feet, hehe, and loves being petted 24/7. Anyway. I am wondering, how soon should I think about possibly adopting a husbun to be her buddy :). Dori was 9 months when I adopted her, so I would say she is probably about 1 year 2 months now. Also, should the husbun be about her same age, younger or older? She is a Silver Marten, does it matter what breed her bud is? Does it make a difference when bonding them? Thanks, any info is helpful :)

I would say don't adopt until she is over a year and also spayed, and she is over one, I don't know about spayed though, but if she is and if you can handle two bunnies, then now would be ace.

It's probably best for her mate to be over a year too, but other than that there is no specification, and there is no need to worry about breed either.

Do you plan on taking her on bunny dates? If you do bunny dates then she will probably choose the bunny herself, and it could be male or female.

If you do get another bun you will have to house them separately at first, and you might find they don't bond so will have to house them separately, will you be able to cope with that?

Well Dori is already spayed and she is over 1 year old. Unfortunately I live in a tiny apartment, so I wouldn't be able to house them separately. I was hoping that I could take her on some bunny dates and that she would find the perfect mate and they could live together right away, I wasn't thinking about the housing separate at first. I guess Miss Dori will have to wait a while before she gets a buddy.:?

With any pairing,even if they have been bonded for a long time, you have the possibility that they will 'divorce'. Even with an easy bond you wouldn't be able to put them straight in together unless Dori and the new bun are super amazing because that's her territory and the other bun will be invading her space.

It's good you know you need to wait, just think, you will have the pleasure to look forward to :) It will be worth it when you can do it.

Smitten, my Silver Marten, is currently bonded to Sawyer a mixed breed rabbit. She was bonded to a mini-lop previously. The first bonding took about two weeks until they could tolerate each other. That lasted about six months because Simon the lop passed due to EC. The bond with Sawyer took about a week. They can have their squabbles at times but seem devoted to each other.They have been together for 10 months.

I would try her with different rabbits to see who she is compatible with.

Latest posts

Back