When Is A Bunny Fully Grown?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot

& Carole
Reaction score
Does it vary with type, or is there a certain time frame? 6-8 months is what I am seeing with a google search.

Thanks for the replies. There seems to be some difference as to when a veterinarian will neuter/spay. The one I took Elliot to said she would spay Ursala at 5 months. Does that sound ok? I was also wondering when she will reach her mature size. I am real curious to see how big she will get. She is supposed to be a Netherland dwarf, but her ears look too long. The woman also had mini-rex, so I am wondering if she could be a mix.

The bigger breeds tend to mature slower than the smaller ones. As for Ursala's ears, they sometimes have longer ears than the standard calls for. Which might explain why she's in a pet home and not a show one. I have a Californian now that has blue eyes. If I were to sell it, someone might say it's a mix because of the eye color...and it's not. Still haven't figured out why it has blue eyes and not red. LOL

Thank you Wendy! That makes sense. She sure has tons of personality, just like her buddy Elliot.:)

It's neat to interact with a bunch of rabbits, and figuring out what they like and don't like. Some, like Rosa, pretty much doesn't like anything. LOL But others, like Nestle, really don't mind anything at all.

We generally have ours spayed at 3-4 months old. I don't remember if I've mentioned it to you, but our vet in Port Orange will spay Ursula for $65 through our low cost program.

When it comes to showing, most breeds are considered adults (seniors) at 6 months old with large and giant breeds at 8 months. However, the large and giant breeds are usually not done growing until 12-15 months. Smaller breeds tend to be done growing (they may fill out a bit more) around 6 months.

For when to spay or neuter, it can depend on the vet. Males can gen really be done as soon as their testicles descend which can be around 4-5 months old. Females are usually not done until they are 5-6 months, but some vets might do earlier. Larger breeds might benefit from waiting longer since they mature more slowly.

Thanks Patti, I thought about asking you that question. But I called the same vet I took Elliot to, and they said $85. Not too bad, and for what I would save, I would spend in gas and a day over on the coast{wouldn't complain about that....would love to feel the sand between my toes, it's been ages!} Thanks for everyone's input.

Latest posts

Back