when is a buck too old to breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a very willing ten year old buck, but apparently his stuff was not potent enough, and he also broke his leg.

I assume it's like human men, which would be for as long as it isreasonable, lol. However, I am not sure, but the vet was talking aboutmutated sperm, which wouldn't be able to fertilise an egg so maybe thatmight also be a factor.

Assumably a bun with a crypt orchid would not be able to breed for aslong as one with two balls, because of that reason. Which is probablytotally unrelated to you and your bun, lol.

The term is cryptorchid (one word) forundescended "testicles" :) Cryptorchids are capable as longas a normal buck.

The vet can do a sperm count and also note sperm viability of the buck.

Pam

Cool.

The vet I spoke to said that because of the higher temps within thebody they produce more mutated sperm, or something. But at least now Iknow it's all one word, lol. *pats self on the head*

Yes, it's correct that higher temperatures dueto the retained testicle can diminish viable sperm. Cryptorchids canalso be more prone to testicular cancer.

Cryptorchids should never be used for breeding because this is a hereditary condition.

Pam

I know that this thread is not for this, so apologies for hijacking it, but... (lol)

I spoke to my vet about this a while ago and he said that if you canfeel the testicle under the surface then it has not descended becausethe opening was too small, so it's not hereditary in that case becauseit is a slight issue with the opening, as opposed to having itelsewhere in his body.

I had to talk to the vet about because our 'alpha' male has only one visible ball, lol. aw.

Flashy wrote:
Iknow that this thread is not for this, so apologies for hijacking it,but... (lol)

I spoke to my vet about this a while ago and he said that if you canfeel the testicle under the surface then it has not descended becausethe opening was too small, so it's not hereditary in that case becauseit is a slight issue with the opening, as opposed to having itelsewhere in his body.

The tendency for the opening to be too small, or other physicalfactorswould be inherited :) Althoughcauses of cryptorchidism are not fully understood, it is not advised touse animals with these type of congenital defects forbreeding. Incidences do seem to run in certain lines,indicating that the condition may be genetic in nature.

Below is a photo that I took of a buck that had retained both testeshigh in the abdomen. (Hard to tell from the photo, but very obvious inperson)

Pam

MiniLop wrote:
Thanks Pam :)
Ditto :)

And apologies again Minilop for hijacking the thread, I thought when Ioriginally posted that it might be worth mentioning it the mutant spermthing, that's all. Sorry.

You know what? Many of us (me included) hijackthreads all the time without thinking about it....but it frequentlycomes back to the topic at hand anyway...

Besides - I found the whole thread very interesting!

Peg

Flashy wrote:
MiniLop wrote:
Thanks Pam :)
Ditto :)

And apologies again Minilop for hijacking the thread, I thought when Ioriginally posted that it might be worth mentioning it the mutant spermthing, that's all. Sorry.

TinysMom wrote:
You know what? Many of us (me included) hijack threads allthe time without thinking about it....but it frequently comes back tothe topic at hand anyway...

Besides - I found the whole thread very interesting!

It was also relevant to the topic, so I don't think anyone minded ;)

Pam

Latest posts

Back