When Bunnies See What You Can't...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Has anyone witnessed your rabbit reacting to something invisible to the human senses?

Three nights ago, our male bun behaved as though he saw (or at least sensed) something that we humans could not.

His odd behavior started when he went to re-enter his penned area. He stopped short at the gate opening and stared hard toward the back of his room. He didn't even react to my presence when I sat next to him, spoke to him and pet him. Instead, he continued to stare at what, to me, appeared to be the back corner of his room. I saw nothing. He stared for 1-2 minutes.

He then decided to brave it and re-entered his pen. That's when things got more strange. He began showing definite signs of uneasiness, confusion and even fear (IMO). He did the bob-and-weave move, kept his ears erect, and slunk/slid around a small portion of the room. (He didn't seem to want to cover the entire area.) He did this for less than a minute before quickly leaving his penned area.

After all of this, he'd stare hard at his room's doorway (from his hallway position) every single time that he came near it. And one time, he stood upright (in the hallway) to stare inside of his room's doorway.

At one point, he re-entered his pen, and my husband then witnessed the same odd (uneasy/fearful) behaviors. (At that time, I was in the kitchen, asking my DH to describe our boy's behavior.)

A bit later, while I was again in the kitchen, our boy was again near his room's doorway. A moment later, he came riproaring faster than I'd ever seen--straight down the hallway and into the kitchen, where he slid into the cabinets. He again tried to run, zipping fearfully into our dining room. Thankfully, he stopped running and then calmed down about 10-15 minutes later.

I am convinced that he saw/sensed something that we humans couldn't see with our physical eyes. The very thought scares me a bit. But I have no other explanation; he definitely reacted in response to something.

Jenk

My Tupper does some strange things like that too. He will get on his hind legs and "beg" at nothing! I wonder that maybe animals can see our guardian angels or other spirits. It makes sense to me, but then again, I've always been a little "off". ;)

lovebunnyok wrote:
My Tupper does some strange things like that too. He will get on his hind legs and "beg" at nothing! I wonder that maybe animals can see our guardian angels or other spirits. It makes sense to me, but then again, I've always been a little "off". ;)

I don't think that you, Tupper, or my bunny boy, Pink,are "off." :biggrin2: But I'd have taken the whole ordeal better if Pink had simply stood on his hand legs. It was the lengthy staring and definite signs of fear that got me torqued up.

I'm trying to convince myself that he saw something/someone who's beneign, but the sight itself confounded (and, therefore, scared) him.

Just think of it this way.. If you saw someone that was see through, wouldn't you be freaked out too? LOL I know if I was a bunny, I would be doing the Bunn-anapolis 500 back to my cage!! :D

lovebunnyok wrote:
Just think of it this way.. If you saw someone that was see through, wouldn't you be freaked out too? LOL I know if I was a bunny, I would be doing the Bunn-anapolis 500 back to my cage!! :D

Yes. I tell myself that if I saw something/someone who meant me well (e.g., a guardian angel, etc.), I'd still be fearful. So I'm telling myself that Pink saw something/something that meant well. :D

The rough part was that whatever (or whomever) he saw was inside of his penned area. I was concerned that I'd have to break away his x-pen (from the NIC panels) and make a small pen for him in our bedroom for the night, if he remained fearful to return to his living quarters. Thankfully, whatever/whomever he saw must've left because he eventually returned to his room without complaint/fear.

All of my animals sometimes at night will go CRAZY the guineas will squeal and the rabbits will thump. This will go on for about 5 mins then stop. I have even seen Zues attack the air while going towards my door. Ive had some experiances in my house myself so animals haveing it to doesnt surprise me. My dogs will also just bark at corner of rooms and growl.

Jenk wrote:
Has anyone witnessed your rabbit reacting to something invisible to the human senses?

Three nights ago, our male bun behaved as though he saw (or at least sensed) something that we humans could not.
That's happened once or twice with Scone. One night he came running into my bedroom and THUMPED really loudly. He did it a few more times until I turned the light on and asked him what the problem was. He evidently felt that, having delivered the message, his involvement was over, so he shook his head, ran under the bed and went to sleep.

It could be that your bun was reacting to sound - there might be a mouse in the wall and he could hear scratching or squeaking that was too quiet for you to year.

Haha Babii does things like that!
I always thought it was just she was ... crazy.. like her momma :p

She'll sit in the middle of the room, and lunge at the air.
It's kind of funny, to watch though.

Sometimes my bunnies will thump for reasons I can't explain.

As prey animals, they are evolved to be much more sensitive to perceived threats than humans are. They hear things I can't hear, and if they don't know what the sounds are, it can upset them.

Riley freaked out a couple times when I was cooking meat but the heat was on too high. The smell drove him into a panic. When a rabbit can "see" something we can't, it's more likely a sound or smell, IMO.

JeffS wrote:
Riley freaked out a couple times when I was cooking meat but the heat was on too high. The smell drove him into a panic. When a rabbit can "see" something we can't, it's more likely a sound or smell, IMO.

Jeff, your (and BethM's) points are noted, but nothing was cooking at the time. And our boy doesn't react to most smells--including the scent of red meat cooking, which makes our one Mini Rex frightened.

I'd like to think that it was a sound, but I don't know; I've still seen previous pets react to things unseen by humans. And they couldn't all have been mice. ;)

Howier does this too, he'll lay his ears down and hunker down like something he doesn't like is touching him, he'll stare at the corner of the animal room like he sees something i don't, this is the same corner my chinchilla Kishi will "bark" at like she's afraid of something.

animals are incredibly sensitive, theymay be seeing something or feeling something or hearing something that we just can't see

Amelia is very sensitive. In my old apartment, I often found her with ears perked up, in "on alert" mode, looking at the glass door. I usually didn't notice anything amiss, but a couple times I'd look out there (kept the blinds on the door closed to conserve energy), and there was always a squirrel or bird out on the deck. I was unable to hear the animal, but Amelia's big ears heard it through the door.She is also extremely sensitive to smells. She will hide in her house when food is cooking, and will not go up to anyone wearing perfume. I do believe she can smell things that are outside the human ability to small, but are normal.

I think there is a rational explanation for these things more often than not. Nothing to get worried about!

Latest posts

Back