When bunnies bite

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity73

Reaction score
My Cinder is a year old and an alpha female. Sometimes she bites me really hard. She did this to me this morning as I was approaching her cage to feed her. She saw me and knew I was coming so she wasn't spooked or anything. So she hauls off and bites me as soon as I place her food in her hutch. Is there anyway to get a bunny to stop biting for no reason? She is a usuallyl pretty nice rabbit except she has mood swings where she will grunt, charge and nip if you move too fast towards her. This is not the first time she has bitten me this hard, but I don't know if she will evr be fully non agggresive.

As some of you know I recentlty got her a mate Roger, and she gets along with him wonderfully. I thought maybe thats why she was acting this way because she was jealous. I don't think so though because of past experience with her. If anyone has any suggestions please. Thanks.
15731_191007_490000000.jpg

Ouch :grumpy::X:shock::lookaround

We had a couple of biters. I would pin them down and talk to them or roll them onto their back and pin them down. I don't think they liked it as they stopped biting and I stopped pinning them. I expect some hutch aggression as it's "their's", but I still have to feed and change, so, biting is a behavior that's not to be condoned.

Duckie has been rather grumpy lately too and she grunts alot when I try to grab her from her cage. Does anybody have a solution or an idea why she's been grumpy? Thanks!

Samson stopped charging me when I started giving her more pets and attention. Might be worth a shot :)

Also I would stop moving fast toward her. Another thing you can try is talking to her while you are approaching her. Give her attention first then the other rabbit. Are your rabbits bonded? That is great that they get along with each other. I have two rabbits that I am trying to bond with each other.

I had the same issue, and I think it was moulting. When Cheeto moults, it's like pms. It's horrible. He doesn't want to come out, he'll get upset if I touch him in any way, and he hides from everybody. Usually Cheeto is a happy-go-lucky bun that loves being around people, so we were really worried when he started doing this.
There's nothing you can do but wait for it to pass. Treat them with caution and give them treats if they're good.

I also posted about biting on here, and I was told it was probably a phase. This makes more sense because he doesn't bite at all now, even if he is moulting. It was the craziest thing; he'd run up to me, bite me, and binky off like it was the funniest thing in the world. It might just be a phase where your bunny is saying, "Hey, pay attention to me!" or "This is my place, not yours."

Don't encourage it, like somebody said above me. Punish them by flipping them (if you can) or screaming "no". If they are young, this is harder because they might not know no. But you can try!
Good luck!

My Second rabbit was a bitter. If you get anywhere near her corner and it wasn't involving a nose rabbit you could expect a good bite. I did love how she waited by the back door when she needed to use the bathroom so she was aloud to stay inside. But she wasn't fixed so I figure that was the cause of the biting.

My current rabbit Coffee has only bitten my once and I believe it was an accident. I got a sweeping pan and that broom is like one of the 7 deadly sins. I was just sweeping up some on the raisins that didn't make it into the litter box and I normally take her out of the cage when I do this because she will attack the broom and grunt at it. I was leaving for work and decided I would sweep her cage again cuz she left like 3 raisins on the floor (hun use the litter box plz!) and I think she miss aimed and bit my hand when she was trying to go for the broom.

You did not specify, but is Cinder spayed? That can help alot with being territorial. Otherwise, I would say to keep petting her (even if you have to wear gloves) so she learns that biting does no good.

Latest posts

Back