When are baby bunnies weaned?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnynoses

Reaction score
Does any one know when baby bunnies are weaned? The rescue told me between 6 to 8 weeks. They are three weeks old now and eating alfalfa and drinking from mom. The rescue told me to start feeding them pellets and greens at 4 weeks.

What age did you get your bunny?

Thanks

Baby rabbits do start to eat solid foods around 2-3 weeks. This does not mean they are ready to leave mom. They still need milk for another 4+ weeks. Some can be weaned around 4 weeks if necessary (like if mom has another litter), but it is not ideal.
Most breeders will wean around 6-8 weeks. It can depend on the mom as well. It many places, it is illegal to sell rabbits under 8 weeks of age.

The youngest I have gotten rabbits is around 10 weeks. Felix was 10 weeks when I got him. Korr was around 8-10 weeks, but I am not really sure.

Kits should have access to food as soon as they're ready for it. Mine usually start diving into their mom's dish around 3 weeks old, so I add a second dish for them.

They can be weaned anytime from about 4-8 weeks old. If possible, I like to leave them with mom until 8 weeks old, or even longer if one of my extra large cages is available. Sometimes I have several litters at once so the ones in "normal" size cages are weaned based on size/number of kits.

Kits can be sold then after they turn 8 weeks old. It's illegal in many areas to sell them younger than that.

Thanks, the babies started to eat the pellets the other day and they want the carrots and greens that I give the mother. They seem to like it and are okay so far, no diarehea.

Latest posts

Back