What's your favorite kind of rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetegocalderon

Reaction score
I want to adopt one final bunny (yea right, imalways saying that) and was just wondering ppl's favorite breed and whyto help me get ideas as to my next bun....

Definitely the English lop for me. Very verylaid-back, sweethearts...they are more like big puppies than rabbits.Raph will come up to me if I'm watching tv and will hop up on the sofabeside me...and if I promise to stroke his nose he will cuddle next tome. Of course if I couldn't have an Elop, my next bet would be aFlemish...big brute of a bunny, but just so adorable.

Nexton my list would probably be mini-lops...they are alsovery cuddly bunnies, and their size is perfect for someone wanting asmaller breed. Of course I'd have to include all other rabbits on mylist too, (especially) mixed breeds. I just love them all...:)

Bassetluv wrote:
Definitely the English lop for me. Very very laid-back,sweethearts...they are more like big puppies than rabbits. Raph willcome up to me if I'm watching tv and will hop up on the sofa besideme...and if I promise to stroke his nose he will cuddle next to me. Ofcourse if I couldn't have an Elop, my next bet would be a Flemish...bigbrute of a bunny, but just so adorable.

Nexton my list would probably be mini-lops...they are alsovery cuddly bunnies, and their size is perfect for someone wanting asmaller breed. Of course I'd have to include all other rabbits on mylist too, (especially) mixed breeds. I just love them all...:)
About how big do english lops get?

do elops generally get along with smallerbreeds? Beans is a mini rex and im actually not sure whatRice is but she is even smaller than Beans. Bunnyslave'srabbit, Opie - what kind of rabbit is that?

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
do elops generally get along with smaller breeds?Beans is a mini rex and im actually not sure what Rice is but she iseven smaller than Beans. Bunnyslave's rabbit, Opie - whatkind of rabbit is that?

Bunnyslave's Opie is a broken opal french lop.

~Jim

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
Right, but im assuming certain breeds have certain generalcharacteristics for their personality, no?
I think that rabbits, as with any animal, can have certain traitswithin certain breeds, definitely...but there is also the individualanimal to consider as well. (For instance, my sister's neighbor has agolden retriever, and while their reputation is usually that of agentle, pretty laid-back dog, this one snarls and snaps ateverything...and she's been that way since the time they got her as apuppy.) The smaller breeds of rabbits do seem to be moreactive/energetic than the bigger breeds, at least from what I've seen.However (again) I've had Polish rabbits who were extremely hyper, whileothers were very serene. And I don't know if anyone else finds this,but I always foundmale rabbits to not have as manypersonality issues as females. BUT...this is a very generalstatement...it all depends on the individual in the end.

What type ofcharacteristics are you looking for in a rabbit?

I'm looking for a more laid-back rabbit than myhyper Beans. I also was hoping for a larger breed, like 8 lbsor so but i want to make sure it would get along with the other twosmaller ones and not hurt them. - oh and its gotta get alongwith the other rabbit im already in the process of adopting with aparalyzed neck.

If you're looking for a gentle bunny - Iwouldn't go with a french lop - unless it is an older one. Myfrench lop is 9 or 10 months old and I love her dearly BUT she ispretty um...active. Yeah..that is a good word.

I would recommend a flemish giant but even there - it depends upon thepersonality of the flemish giant. My Tiny will let babiescrawl all over him...but don't let an unneutered (or even neutered)buck near him...he hates it. Yes, he is neutered.However, he's fine with the unneutered girls...at least most of them.

Good luck in whatever you decide. I was going to suggest alionhead since I love them so much for their personality and gentleattitudes (usually - depends upon where you get it and what the breederbreeds for) but they don't reach 8 pounds or more...unless you gettwo? They might equal 7-8 pounds when you add their weightstogether! :shock:

Peg

You know what, i think Rice is alionhead! I was looking at some pics and she has the sameface and she isreally tiny, smaller than Beans, which is ithink is a mini-rex.

Before we got Binky and Boo, I wanted to adopt aNew Zealand which has a good temperment (sp?) but when we met it andBinky and Boo, the personality ofB & B was perfectfor us. I believe B& B are dutch mixes.

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
I'm looking for a more laid-back rabbit than my hyperBeans. I also was hoping for a larger breed, like 8 lbs or sobut i want to make sure it would get along with the other two smallerones and not hurt them. - oh and its gotta get along with theother rabbit im already in the process of adopting with a paralyzedneck.

Yes......How about a New Zealand?

Our Tootsie is a black New Zealand. She has a very sweet personality, has gorgeous fur, and weighs in at around 9-10 lbs.

~Jim

JimD wrote:
ilovetegocalderon wrote:
I'mlooking for a more laid-back rabbit than my hyper Beans. Ialso was hoping for a larger breed, like 8 lbs or so but i want to makesure it would get along with the other two smaller ones and not hurtthem. - oh and its gotta get along with the other rabbit imalready in the process of adopting with a paralyzed neck.

Yes......How about a New Zealand?

Our Tootsie is a black New Zealand. She has a very sweet personality, has gorgeous fur, and weighs in at around 9-10 lbs.

~Jim
hmm, do you have a pic or your rabbit or of another new zealand??

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
hmm, do you have a pic or your rabbit or of another newzealand??
Her ya go.....

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back