What's wrong with my dear Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bonnie Lee wrote:
I been contacting some people that are in the Rabbit Association from my state and they haven't heard that Rabbits can only eat greens after 4 months old because when the babies come out of the nest they eat what the mum eats and then her milk gives them the right immune stuff to take the bacteria in from the food...

So I was just wondering where this 4 month rule came from as I understand a lot of information can be bias and spread about fast on the internet as I've already learnt after reading google.

But yeah I was just wondering where this information was coming from...:dude:
They are correct, rabbits who eat greens while pregnant will pass on the immunity stuff to the babes and then the babe buns can generally eat greens as well.

The thing is, people get their bunnies from breeders, pet shops and rescues, and you aren't likely guaranteed to know what the mother ate. Many people don't give greens outside the occasional carrot, breeders included. It is *safer* to say that bunnies need to not have greens until 4 months, period, because of that common unknown.

I myself got one bun from a pet store and the other from a breeder. The breeder doesn't feed greens, and who knows what the pet store mum was fed. So for the health of my bunnies, I waited until 4 months. It wasn't difficult, it was 2 1/2 months to wait.

I personally get most of my information rabbit.org. The rest I get from reading on forums, and seeing people have issues with the same thing.

Ohh, I see I see,

Thanks for your answer! That makes so much more sense to me as my first bunny Harvey I got from a small business breeder whos aim was to make the best quality mini lops and he was absolutely fine with any type of greens I gave him but Winston was the opposite and I bought him from some woman that claimed he was a female mini lop but I have my doubts that he's a dwarf lop and the gender was wrong either way...

But thanks so much for your reply it cleared a lot about that!

Latest posts

Back