Whats wrong with my bun buns??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulo

Reaction score
When I first got her, she was sweet and caring,she would keep licking me 24/7, I have had her for about 3 weeks now,when I first got her, she was about 2 monthsold. She used to love when Igroomed her and grabbed her into my arms, but now she hates it, andeverytime I pick her up she starts to scratch and tries to run off sonow I hardly ever pick her up, What should I do to stop this! Pleasehelp!

It may just be Because she's a female.. i'dsuggest getting her spayed.. (when the time is right) that way herttuide will calm down.. my rabbit is spayed.. and she was still cranky(but thankgod its not bad because she was bad!) and whenever she didsomething bad, i did the old fashion Dog behavior thing, where i Sprayher with a water bottle and yell "NO!" and now she is very sweet, meand her can act. cuddle together now! (only if i have a blanket wrappedaround us! LOL otherwise shes gone exploring LOL) hope this helps!

Cool thanks Cinnabun, Im goin to have to try thiswatergun thing, lol I hope she dosent get sick! She has that lovely furwhere you just gotta keep touchin, but i dont think she likes to begroomed, is there any special way to groom your bunnies ? Do you needsome special brush ? Is there any special place they like to be touchedand groomed ? How do you make your bunny get to a trance, Ive tried butnever works! Sorry for all these questions, I just want my buns to becomfortable and happy, if you can aswer some of these questions, Itwill really help! ~THANKS

Paulo

Well this is what my Rabbit looks like She's A Lion Head X Jersey Wooly..
cinnamen_12.jpg

So she has ALOT of fur.. she does a really good job at keeping herselfgroomed.. but just in case i have a Soft Brush and a Rough Brush andWipes for her, for grooming.. as for the trancing with that Rabbit, shewont let you hold her like a baby.. my other rabbit though i was ableto that with.. it just takes time and trust with the rabbits.. if yoursis young that it should rather easy just keep doing that every day andthey will get to trust you enough to be on their backs and hold youlike that.. i am currently trying to get my rabbit to do that.Goodluck!

Paulo wrote:
WhenI first got her, she was sweet and caring, she would keep licking me24/7, I have had her for about 3 weeks now, when I first got her, shewas about 2 months old. Sheused to love when I groomed her and grabbed her into my arms, but nowshe hates it, and everytime I pick her up she starts to scratch andtries to run off so now I hardly ever pick her up, What should I do tostop this! Please help!
Just think of her as a 5 year old child, when she was a baby she likedbeing held against something warm like her mama, but now she's olderand getting fidgety when grabbed or hugged.

Bunnies don't like confinement and heights much. I know theyare REALLY hard to resist, but don'tpick her up and hugher. Open her cage and let her leave on her own, don't reachin for her. Play with her on the floor, at herlevel. Give her treats and pet, but don'thug.If she's anything like Pipp, she'll be jumpingon your chest and licking your nose in no time, andsoonshe'll jump onto your lapfor agroomingsession.

SAS

I was going to post the same thing, ihave two 8 week old buns and flufy she used to love me cuddling her andsmoothing her and stuff and now she hates it when i go to pick her upshe sratches my arms i have sratches going all up my arms coz of herbut my other one will still sit there and let me cuddle her, do anythink to her and fluffy wont!!

ive had them for about 1/2 weks now but fluffy has changed,does any one know why? do you think its the same reason?

thanks!!

Pipp wrote:
anything like Pipp, she'll be licking your nose in no time

That's the first thing Pebbles does when she licks my face. (licks my nose). :p

I give her time and space whenever she wants it. I try not tobother her during her afternoon naps, and if she sits under her stool,then she is to be left alone. :(

Any other time Pebbles is always looking to be petted or giventreats. She has gotten use to us handling her sowehave no problem picking her up. :cool:

We don't chase her, we let her chase us. :shock:

And if we want her to come to us, we just sit orlaystill with our hands flat on the floor, and she will comein no time. :D

Rainbows! :)

Hi

Remember your bunny is by nature a prey animal so if he is held tightlyor picked up he will probably have a fear reaction and fight to getaway, I think when they are little they are kind of helpless but asthey mature they become more behaviourally advanced and aware and theirreactions become stronger.

I think it takes a lot of trust before a bun will overcomethis fear reaction and lie happily in its owners arms. And some bunsjust wont do this at all in my experience.

I agree I think neutering at the right time can make a bunny much more settled and placid.

My two hate being picked up, but they dont mind beingstroked and cuddled at ground level. If you lie on the floor they seeyou as less of a threat and often come over and nudge at you or jump onyou in a playful way and this can be a way to startinteracting with your bunny in a non threatening way.

Bunnies are so cute and you just want to pick them up and cuddle them Iknow but Ithink in reality only some manage this. The rest ofthem I guess the relationship has to be on theirterms!!

All the best with taming your bun.

ND

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Pipp wrote:
anything like Pipp, she'll be licking your nose inno time

That's the first thing Pebbles does when she licks my face. (licks my nose). :p

I give her time and space whenever she wants it. I try not tobother her during her afternoon naps, and if she sits under her stool,then she is to be left alone. :(

Any other time Pebbles is always looking to be petted or giventreats. She has gotten use to us handling her sowehave no problem picking her up. :cool:

We don't chase her, we let her chase us. :shock:

And if we want her to come to us, we just sit orlaystill with our hands flat on the floor, and she will comein no time. :D

Hey Pipp about that stool thing, I have one and i had it in my petscage, i hope you didnt mind me taking that idea from you lol, I sawsome other threads with your bunny, very cute, anyway my buns seem totake the stool differently, instead of them goin underneath, they go ontop of it and sit there, is bein on top the same exact thing or mood asbein underneath the stool ?

Paulo wrote:
mybuns seem to take the stool differently, instead of them goinunderneath, they go on top of it and sit there, is bein on top the sameexact thing or mood as bein underneath the stool ?
Some bunnies like to be on top because it gives them a sense of being able to observe everything below them.

Other bunnies like to burrow, so they prefer to have something over their head for that sense of security.

Pebbles would sit on top when she begs for food or wants to be picked up.

She would go under when she sleepsor wants to hide.

Omg, Peebles is just sooo cute! the cage that youhave her, does she go in and out when ever she wants ? do you have likea room just for her? and how come you took off the cages wire, orwhatever the are called so the bunny will keep inside ? Just wonderingso I can make some changes with my bunnies cage..

Heres Neo and Mia on their stool

mia_neo.jpg

Fergi wrote:
Isthis the female that is housed with the male? If so she may bepregnant, that tends to cause a lot of hormonal changes that can makefor a very fiesty bun.

Fergi's mom

Omg, I think you are right, she has got alot bigger, but is she possible for hm a

2-3month bunnie to get pregnant ? and is it possible for the female to get pregnant by around 2 month buck ?

Paulo wrote:
Omg,Peebles is just sooo cute! the cage that you have her, does she go inand out when ever she wants ? do you have like a room just for her? andhow come you took off the cages wire, or whatever the are called so thebunny will keep inside ? Just wondering so I can make some changes withmy bunnies cage..
Pebbles will stay in her cage and hasn't jumped outyet. But we keep the top on just incase. I usually take the top off to takepictures of her.

We put Pebbles in our bunny proofed hallway for 4 - 5 hours offree runper day.

Other parts of the house we have pens set up, and if we letherloose inthe house, we keep a veryclose eye on her.

Rainbows! :D

Paulo wrote:
Fergi wrote:
Is this thefemale that is housed with the male? If so she may be pregnant, thattends to cause a lot of hormonal changes that can make for a veryfiesty bun.

Fergi's mom

Omg, I think you are right, she has got alot bigger, but is she possible for hm a

2-3month bunnie to get pregnant ? and is it possible for the female to get pregnant by around 2 month buck ?
I think they can pregnant at 12 weeks.

Cool, thanks for the help, Im preying right nowthat shes not pregnant, I heard that younger bunnies will havediffulculties with their kits while doesolder than 6 monthstend to do better

I just bought a seperate cage for neo and itotaly cleaned mias cage, took like 3 hours but I did it and it allpaid off!! Mia is finally lickin me again, HURRAY!! I just love it whenshe does that and for the past weeks, she didnt even come close to meas i mentioned earlier!

A 2 month buck isn't mature enough to get a female pregnant. He should be at least 12 weeks old, to be fertile.

@all Please consider that these changes in behavior might be due to thefact that your rabbit is simply growing up ! Rabbits of 8 weeks or evenyounger are cuddly and sweet and like to be groomed. But when theyreach the age of about 12 weeks their character can change completelybecause only then, the final character develops during puberty. That'snot great for the owner if his rabbit turns out to be a littleaggressive but maybe that's just the way it is. Not every aggression isdue to pregnancy or fear or can be "spayed away". Maybe it's just acharacter thing and has to be accepted ?!

Latest posts

Back