What's wrong with Chewy! :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buture

Reaction score
Yesterday, my female netherland drawf stopped eating, drinking and pooping. It just sat hunched over in its cage and grunted when anyone came near. Naturally i assumed the worst and google was telling me it could die anytime, so i sat with it all night and tried to feed it alfalfa hay and water. It started being active again yet had these random sharp, raspy inhales at times and hunched his back while doing that. I finally caught it and it had a lot of poop stuck to its bottom, no wonder nothing was at the bottom of its cage.. I clipped away it all and it poops regularly and its eating now and its very active now too, relaxed and all. Minus it eating its hair, that part's confusing..
My point is. Those symptoms are gone, but it still has these sharp spasms sometimes. Do i need to take it to the vet? Its really worrysome! And how can i reduce irritation around its bottom from the poop that was there?
The rabbit's never done this and its not in dirty conditions, by the way.
We were simply gone 2 days for Christmas and it didnt get out of its cage so poop just accumulated from it sitting down.

If the problem only happens while you're gone 2 days, you either have to have a pet sitter in future or get an xpen with several litter pans in it.

If it happens at other times as well, I definitely think you should see the vet.

If your Chewy's breathing is raspy and it hunches over, I would takeher to the vet. There might be the possibility of a respiratory infection, only a vet can tell.

Good luck.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
If your Chewy's breathing is raspy and it hunches over, I would takeher to the vet. There might be the possibility of a respiratory infection, only a vet can tell.

Good luck.

:yeahthat:"

"Sharp spasms are not normal .."

You could give a dose of simethicone ( 1 cc of infant gas drops ) right now as it could be a combo of things including gas but still should see a vet

Latest posts

Back