What's with the scratching?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serenz

Reaction score
Sometimes when I sit on the floor to pet them they scratch my leg! What does it mean?

No idea... mine do it too. Sometimes they will do it before they find a good spot to pee, other times they want me to get out of the way or put them down... and sometimes I just have no idea.. I think they are playing or trying to be affectionate.

Bo has all sorts of reasons....... I have figured some of them out - it's just not easy to tell what they mean each time:

1. Put me down

2. HEY! YOU! pay attention

3. MOVE!!

4. I need my litterbox!

5. You are really ticking me off woman!

HoneyPot, TK Bunnies

I really don't think they're trying to be affectionate or groom us. lol

Ifthey don't do to each other it isn't good for us. That's my theory. lolI've seen sugar scratch daddy before, that's to ask him to get up because he's in her usual spot.

tundrakatiebean

LOL Every time they scratch me I'll know it's time for a nail cut.

Bo B Bunny

Lucky that you've figured some. I wasn't carrying them when they scratched me. Most of the time I'm sitting on the floor and petting them on the floor. They just scratched me!

Now I'm thinking they're trying to tell me, hey I'm bored!

Wiggles does it when she wants me to chase her or pick her up (she's one of those exceptions who just loves being in people's arms).

If I am sitting on the floor, it's time to play.

If I am standing, it's time to play or pick her up.

If I am close to the cage, she wants a treat. (I keep the treat container on top and she knows it.)

The foster does it to get my attention so I can pet her.

:)

Nibbles digs on me for all of the reasons Ms Binky mentioned, and sometimes just for the heck of it, because she thinks I'm prime digging material, and that I belong to her.

Rabbits are such funny, facinating creatures! :D

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Bo has all sorts of reasons....... I have figured some of them out - it's just not easy to tell what they mean each time:

1.  Put me down

2.  HEY! YOU! pay attention

3.  MOVE!!

4.  I need my litterbox!

5.  You are really ticking me off woman!

LOL! Dill too! Except that he also digs my leg and hair when it's a 'hey you're cool!' thing too. (He does it to Sherry sometimes, so I don't feel unloved).

sas :biggrin2:

There's a fair amount of affectionate digging (includes hair) in this house, too. ;) I figure that it's a huge compliment, even though it can be annoying - like lots of my own quirky ways of doing things.

I never thought of the digging as love/compliments - but if I am down on the ground or someplace he's playing - he might come up and dig - I sometimes think he's inviting me to play - since he's not really a bunny but a tiny furry, hopping human being....:p

serenz wrote:
MsBinky

lol.. wow..That sure is specific.. you sure know your buns man!

Oh lol... I know Wiggles like a book. I can read her extremely well. She is my heart bunny :inlove:

I know my gang pretty well actually, I do admit. I suck at bonding them but I am good at reading into their language :p

I should add that Nibbles loves to dig on things (digging and shredding are favorite games) - she often digs on my bedroom slippers and tosses them around (after chinning them). From watching her body language when she's doing this, it seems to be an affection thing - your shoes are mine because you're mine.

Latest posts

Back