Whats The Best Gender?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieMillyMommy

Reaction score
[align=center]:bunnydance: These are 3 Chocolate HollandLops-1 buck (far left) and 2 does. I am picking any one I want on May14th and I was wondering what gender is calmer and easier to bond with,or does it matter? Thanks :bunnydance:

[/align]

Personally....I like males. I don't think gender matters though. It's your own personal choice :).

You should watch them and try to see which onehas the personality you're looking for, since a lot of times it's allabout the individual. In general though, I've heard that the bucks arethe nicer ones.

The women is meetingme somewhere to pick 1 out because she said she dont like strangerscoming to her house which is understandable, but then I have to pickone in like 5 minutes with no idea what each's personality is.:(

I personally find males friendlier. If I couldhave all males, I would. I've had one male Holland Lop and I currentlyhave 2 female Holland Lops. I find the females very high strung and nottoo keen on human company but the male I had could not stand to be awayfrom me, he followed me around like a puppy dog. He was so friendly.

I also have 2 mixed breed males and they are the friendliest rabbits you will ever meet.

But it also depends on the individual rabbits, some may not be what youexpect from a certain gender. It also depends on the breeder -- howmuch they handle them, the temperments of the rabbits used in theirbreeding program, etc. Generally, small breeds (Hollands included) tendto be more high strung and energetic but that is just a generalguideline and is by no means a guarentee.

Many many breeders that I know are constanlysaying, "I need to cut back on my bucks...but I can't 'cause I justlove them so much."

I'm the same way...

I recommend a buck for a pet most of the time.

Peg

I just want to add that Madilyn (my femaleLionhead) is CRAZY. She doesn't like me petting her or even being nearher. She likes to do her own thing.

Mallory and Morgan (my male Harlequin/Dutch mixes) are so loveable.They love to be pet and will sit there and enjoy pets on the bed.

It's all up to you though :).

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

Spayed girls are (IMO) great pets. I think it's more important to pick an individual bunny with a personality that you like.

I've never got a bunny spayed or neutered, but Ihave had close relationships with both genders, but it does take a lotof work to get to that stage.

Bucks tend to be very loyal, they might follow you around, mark you astheir territory. Often a lot like puppies (or mine have been).

Does tend to be more quirky and independent (in my experience), theyseem to know what they want and will come and get it, i.e. if they wanta stroke, or a cuddle, compnay or to lie with you, it will be on theirterms.

Having said all that, I have also come across some vile rabbits too,mostly hormone induced, so I totally agree, go with personality. Orinterest in their outside surroundings. See if, when you put your handin anyone comes to it, or do they show interest in anything else, howare they with the other buns, etc.

It probably won't be as quick as 5 mins because I assume she needs togive you some form of care information, the food, talk to you about howto look after it, etc.

I vote buck.my freindliest rabbits have beenbucks with few exceptions.I have never seen a chocolate Hollandlop.they are not very common.i go to about 7 shows a year.bluebird

[align=center]I justgot these pics from the lady today. They were 3 weeks old May 1st. Dontmind the coloring that is off on the 2nd doe and the buck...The ladysaid the flash made them look way lighter. They are all the same coloras the 1st doe. Then the last one was a group photo, but it looks likewe are missing one. :D

doe1.jpg

doe2.jpg

buck.jpg

group.jpg

[/align]

So they will be 5 weeks old when you get one?

Some please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that a little young? Ihave never bought a bunny less than 8 weeks, because I personally wouldbe worried about them not being successfully weaned.

look in the forum that tells you about the forum(right at the bottom of the homepage), it talksabout how touse web sites like photo bucket to host pictures.

[align=center]I justgot these pics from the lady today. They were 3 weeks old May 1st. Dontmind the coloring that is off on the 2nd doe and the buck...The ladysaid the flash made them look way lighter. They are all the same coloras the 1st doe. Then the last one was a group photo, but it looks likewe are missing one. :D
[/align]

doe1.jpg

doe2.jpg

buck.jpg

group.jpg

Latest posts

Back