Whats the best everyday veggies for rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm getting a bunny soon she is a lop eared mix and is 3 months old. Should I feed her the same thing I feed my guinea pig's everyday? 1 cup of lettuce 2 baby carrots some parsley a little bit of kale and an occasional apple slice (2-3 times a week) with some fruits 2-3 times a week? Or is that not good? The pigs salads usually are around 2 cups everyday. What do you feed your buns everyday?

For a baby bunny, I would introduce veggies and fruits very slowly. Start with one veggie and if after about 3 days the bunny tolerates it OK (no gas or mushy poo) then you can add another one and wait a few days. Your variety sounds OK. Try and limit the gassy veggies (like kale) and the sugary fruits.

Avoid introducing veggies for another month or two. Three months is a bit young.

Introduce veggies in small amounts, and no more than one new veggie a week. Work up to about 1-2 cups per 5 lbs of rabbit per day.

Avoid giving too much sugar, like in carrots or apples. Instead, greens like herbs and romaine can be used. Never use "lettuce", as in iceberg... It will cause loose stool. Instead, romaine is a good staple. Any herbs, like parsley or cilantro, are often bunny favourites.

Avoid large amounts of calcium rich greens like spinach or chard. Bunnies do not have the ability to filter out calcium from what they eat and excess can cause sludgey urine among other things.

Small amounts of fruits are appreciated as treats. Apples, bananas, and strawberries are bunny crack. Whatch your fingers!

If you're ever unsure about what to offer your bunny, research it first. Better safe than sorry.

I follow the old rule of no greens till the bun is atleast 4-6 months old. Beter to be safe than sorry. And like PlasticBunny already stated, NO Iceberg Lettuce.
For my buns that are over 6 months I give 1/2 cup of fresh parsley a day. Not too sure if it is "best" per say, but it is what I use and they love love love it! I also give about an inch of carrot per day, too.

In addition to what everyone else says, I would say the more variety, the better. Better to give small amounts of lots of different greens, than lots of one or two things. That way, if there is something in one of them that their bodies cannot handle, they will never "OD" on it

Variety also makes for a much more interesting diet for the rabbit, and more like what they would have in the wild, where many different foods are available to them.

A good option might be mixed baby greens with herbs (they sell this in packages where I live, not sure if it available everywhere). Expensive, perhaps, but delicious and varied, and easier for you than trying to find many different greens sold separately. "Mixed baby greens" where I live, never includes iceberg lettuce.

Back