What's she saying???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams1786

Reaction score
Having a bit of a rabbit mystery and I'd welcome any guesses. Whenever we're outside in her pen, my rabbit will randomly hop over onto my lap and start digging at me CRAZILY. Like, with a purpose, not just for fun. After a few seconds she'll hop off and run away doing the most aggressive little feet flips. Like, not the normal "You're annoying" ones but like five in a row that almost look like binkies because they're so aggressive. It's making me so sad and I can't figure out what she wants! Once she even stomped at me when she did it and she's not a stomper. I've tried giving her treats and petting her but it doesn't stop. When she's outside she's usually doing the most incredible binkies for minutes on end but then she'll run over randomly, dig, and then flounce off. It's gotten to the point where after her little episodes she'll ignore me for five minutes afterwards and won't even take a treat from me. I'm so confused! I thought maybe she wanted me to bring her inside but when I try to pick her up she'll struggle and keep scratching, though she's normally fine with me holding her. What am I doing wrong??

While reading this I had this crazy thought pop into my head and the thought was that if I were you I would for one thing have a visit with my doctor. I remember reading a story about a lady who's dog kept messing with a mole she had on her ankle. Turns out it was cancerous. Sorry, not sure why that all popped into my head. :)

Do you just sit there will the two of you are outside? Maybe it is her way of telling you to come play. I'm not sure you are doing anything wrong per say but obviously at least something is going on in her mind.

Hahaha creepier response than I was expecting...I've heard of those stories but luckily it's only during the hour when we go outside and it's not just me. She does it to the other person who goes out with her too, the same way. Maybe she gets annoyed with me just sitting there but - and maybe this is an awful question - how does one play with a rabbit? She's pretty feisty and independent so she's not as interactive and snuggly as some other buns - maybe she wants me to run around with her? I normally just sit there huddled up because it's pretty cold for those of us without a fur coat.

That's a good question. The only experience I have is with Thumper. We do play chase and he thoroughly enjoys it. Sometimes I chase him and sometimes he chases me. I can't even remember how it started but I guess just slowly as I was getting to know him completely. Now when I chase or run away from him I do so much slower than I would normally run, one because it's in my living room so space is limited and two to be extra sure that I never step on him since he likes to change direction quickly and even binkies.

You could try giving a little chase while watching her closely for any signs that it frightens her.

It's hard to say as buns can be so different but I am curious to know if you get some idea of why she does that or what she wants.

It does seem like she is trying to communicate something with you, and may be getting frustrated that you don't understand. She might be trying to tell you that she needs you to stand up so she has more running room. Give that a try. Just stand in there instead of sitting, til she's had her fill of zooming around, then try sitting and see if that makes a difference. If that's not it, just keep experimenting and try a bunch of different things til you hit on it.

Sebastian & Anya will do that to my pant legs during their play times. they scratch and yank the leg of my pants and i would pet or get on the floor with them to play. I dont think you are necessarily doing anything wrong, maybe gets some toys that allow you to interact with her when shes outside or maybe some clicker training.

Latest posts

Back