What's best- single bun or bonded?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4cherries

Reaction score
Hey all. Been reading and learning as much as I can but wanted to ask the expert bunny owners :) I know most of you have multiple buns- do you think it's better to just have one bunny pet or a mate? I know there is no guarantee they will bond and just want what's best for Lola. Either being a single bunny fam or two. Not to mention they are so darn cute so hard to say just one!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1394120351.404510.jpg

Buns do just fine being an only bun. If she gets plenty of run time and she enjoy being with you dont sweat it. If you want to handle a second bun then the decision is really yours.

I've had both and honestly it depends on the rabbit. If Peeta didn't have a bunny friend he would be really destructive. Peeta has ADHD I swear and without Polly he would probably tear the carpet up.

On the other hand, Harper is a perfect rabbit alone. She does more binkys than the bonded pair.

Personally, I prefer a single rabbit. They are a lot cleaner in my experience. Though Peeta and Polly combined wouldn't equal harpers weight, they are still a lot dirtier. Harper never misses the litter box. Peeta and Polly only poop in the litter box half of the time.

Watching Peeta and Polly is a huge reward as well. Getting to see how closely bonded they are is awesome. They like to share everything and can't be without each other for long

Really it's all up to you. Would your rabbit be fine without a bunny? Yes. With a bunny? Yes. It's all up to you. Just be prepared to have two single bunnies as bonding is a long process and doesn't always work out.

If you do decide to add another bun, make sure you wait until she's spayed. Adding another one now would probably result in having to separate when they start getting hormonal and having to rebond when they are fixed. I guess our rabbit was very territorial in rescue until they spayed her, and not she couldn't care less. :)

Good luck!

I've had both and honestly it depends on the rabbit. If Peeta didn't have a bunny friend he would be really destructive. Peeta has ADHD I swear and without Polly he would probably tear the carpet up.

On the other hand, Harper is a perfect rabbit alone. She does more binkys than the bonded pair.

Personally, I prefer a single rabbit. They are a lot cleaner in my experience. Though Peeta and Polly combined wouldn't equal harpers weight, they are still a lot dirtier. Harper never misses the litter box. Peeta and Polly only poop in the litter box half of the time.

Watching Peeta and Polly is a huge reward as well. Getting to see how closely bonded they are is awesome. They like to share everything and can't be without each other for long

Really it's all up to you. Would your rabbit be fine without a bunny? Yes. With a bunny? Yes. It's all up to you. Just be prepared to have two single bunnies as bonding is a long process and doesn't always work out.

I agree. I can't believe how many posts I read about people saying they have to rehome because their rabbits won't bond. :expressionless

Yea, as fun as they are thinking she will be solo.. Def agree if we do it, must be spayed first! I've heard the same.. Hormones are crazy until then! Thanks for the input all :)

If you do get a second bunny, just make sure you're doing it for yourself, and not just for Lola's companionship. :) Keep in mind it's twice the vet bills, twice the food, twice the cleaning, etc. There's also the potential that the bunnies won't get along, and may need to be housed and cared for separately, although from what I've read it seems that most of the time bunnies will eventually bond, even if it takes a little longer.

Felix was a solo bun for about two months, until I decided to add Clementine to the family. He seems a lot happier with her around, however this was also around the time he was neutered, so it's hard to say how much of his behaviour calming down can be attributed to having a second bun around. They love snuggling together and grooming each other, and playing together. They both seem really happy. Felix never seemed unhappy before Clem's arrival, though - his bunny 500s have definitely dropped since her arrival/his neuter, so perhaps he finds that with her around he doesn't need to just entertain himself as much.

My two are cautiously 'pre-bonded', since Clementine is a little too young to go in for her spay, but I'm crossing my fingers that their official bonding after her spay won't be too difficult. :) I was able to time it well, as Felix's hormones were just wearing off when Clementine came into the house, and she hadn't matured yet, so I had no chance of baby bunnies surprising me.

I opted to go with a male/female bond, since I'd read that those tend to be the easiest to forge. Since these are my first rabbits, I didn't want to set myself up with something too difficult! If you go with another female, keep in mind female/female bonds are apparently the most difficult to forge, since the females can be quite territorial. Not impossible by any means, though. :)

We just got our Flemish Giant "baby" (he's a big boy already!) so no experience with multiples, so far Stewie seems quite content on his own...with us and the dog for fun playthings! Just wanted to say Lola is a cutie pie!!! :)

The house rabbit society says "most" rabbits would enjoy the company of a rabbit companion.

If you do get a second bunny, just make sure you're doing it for yourself, and not just for Lola's companionship. :) Keep in mind it's twice the vet bills, twice the food, twice the cleaning, etc. There's also the potential that the bunnies won't get along, and may need to be housed and cared for separately, although from what I've read it seems that most of the time bunnies will eventually bond, even if it takes a little longer.

Felix was a solo bun for about two months, until I decided to add Clementine to the family. He seems a lot happier with her around, however this was also around the time he was neutered, so it's hard to say how much of his behaviour calming down can be attributed to having a second bun around. They love snuggling together and grooming each other, and playing together. They both seem really happy. Felix never seemed unhappy before Clem's arrival, though - his bunny 500s have definitely dropped since her arrival/his neuter, so perhaps he finds that with her around he doesn't need to just entertain himself as much.

My two are cautiously 'pre-bonded', since Clementine is a little too young to go in for her spay, but I'm crossing my fingers that their official bonding after her spay won't be too difficult. :) I was able to time it well, as Felix's hormones were just wearing off when Clementine came into the house, and she hadn't matured yet, so I had no chance of baby bunnies surprising me.

I opted to go with a male/female bond, since I'd read that those tend to be the easiest to forge. Since these are my first rabbits, I didn't want to set myself up with something too difficult! If you go with another female, keep in mind female/female bonds are apparently the most difficult to forge, since the females can be quite territorial. Not impossible by any means, though. :)

Are they the same breed?

We have 2 Single buns! Mason is a show bun with 4-H and Seffie is new here and will eventually be a 4-H show bunny. As per 4-h showing they must be intact. So we are ok with that. Mason has a free range run in the bedroom/hallway/bathroom. Seffie is still very shy so she doesn't get to free range as of yet. When she does Mason has the bedroom and Seffie gets the hall/bathroom. Mason loves to smell where Seffie has been and isn't territorial. Seffie is a destructo bun, she gets into everything her cage is always a mess. Mason is very clean. Different rabbits different ways!
Leopold_Ruby love your bun in your avatar!

We have 2 Single buns! Mason is a show bun with 4-H and Seffie is new here and will eventually be a 4-H show bunny. As per 4-h showing they must be intact. So we are ok with that. Mason has a free range run in the bedroom/hallway/bathroom. Seffie is still very shy so she doesn't get to free range as of yet. When she does Mason has the bedroom and Seffie gets the hall/bathroom. Mason loves to smell where Seffie has been and isn't territorial. Seffie is a destructo bun, she gets into everything her cage is always a mess. Mason is very clean. Different rabbits different ways!

Leopold_Ruby love your bun in your avatar!

Good to know! I'm not opposed to have two single buns if we decide to go that route. Just need to think it through and see if I want to clean up after 2 rabbits vs 1 lol

Buns do not have to be the same breed or even the same size to be bonded although common sense would tell me if you were bonding a small breed such as a netherland with a larger breed like a Flemish you would want to pay a little extra attention for any arguments to break out. Although I'm sure with buns it is more about personality than size so a small bun could very well be the aggressor.

I personally love two bunnies they just seem much happier. One of my rabbits was very skittish until I got my other bunny Flopsy now they are partners in crime. They love to snuggle and play together and they don't make a mess. The only time that make a big mess is when they are separated. But as others have said it is up to u and ur bunny. I highly recommend!🐰🐰or🐰

Hey all. Been reading and learning as much as I can but wanted to ask the expert bunny owners :) I know most of you have multiple buns- do you think it's better to just have one bunny pet or a mate? I know there is no guarantee they will bond and just want what's best for Lola. Either being a single bunny fam or two. Not to mention they are so darn cute so hard to say just one!View attachment 8782

Heck Lola is so darned cute she probably LOVES being a single bunny. I have 4 two are bonded- brother and sister, and two are not, they are rescues. The brother and sister are dwarf agouti mix and rescues are Holland Lop and Giant mix...I would say Lola looks like she gets tons of love from you. I and this is coming from a multiple rabbits owner, would just have one bunny and you can shower her with tons of love. My guys get jealous and start biting me or peeing to get attention when they think they are getting shafted on quality time.

I'd stick with Lola!

Vanessa

Last edited:
Oh my gosh I just realized Lola is a lop! She is so freaking cute she looks like a toy! I'm sure my Lop Lady would be jealous of me saying that, but Lola just is so adorable!!!

Vanessa

Oh my gosh I just realized Lola is a lop! She is so freaking cute she looks like a toy! I'm sure my Lop Lady would be jealous of me saying that, but Lola just is so adorable!!!

Vanessa

Aww thanks! She's freaking adorable and knows it!

I personally love two bunnies they just seem much happier. One of my rabbits was very skittish until I got my other bunny Flopsy now they are partners in crime. They love to snuggle and play together and they don't make a mess. The only time that make a big mess is when they are separated. But as others have said it is up to u and ur bunny. I highly recommend!🐰🐰or🐰

Thanks! It would def be for me to have two but think it would be awesome if they were buddies. We shall see. Wouldn't be anytime soon :)

So.. We love having Lola so much we are getting another. Bunnies are so awesome and amazing! I plan to house them separately until they are both altered. However- Lola is only 11 week and he is a baby too. Will be about 8-9 weeks when we get him. Since they aren't mature enough yet- is it safe to let them play together? Any advice?? We are getting the cute little light brown boy ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1395096519.462774.jpg

Latest posts

Back