what's a good breed to have as your first rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazzy_14

Reaction score
I would like to get a bunny and i was just wondering what would be a good breed to get so you could get used to looking after them and getting some more afterwards :)

Please can you help me??? :D

Breeds aren't really what matters, it is all about personality :). Go to your local shelter or rescue to meet some bunnies. You'll know when one is right!

I think as a new bunny owner, an adult that is already spayed/neutered and litter box trained is the best. Baby bunnies are a handful!

:biggrin2:

:yeahthat:

Baby bunnies can be a pain in the butt! They are adorable, but you have to litter train them (which can be mind-boggling and frustrating, at best) and deal with their "raging hormones" through their teenage years. Also, for a first bun, I might recommend a small(er) breed. Anything under a mini-lop size would probably be a good starter :) Check your local shelter first, though. You might find somebun who will melt your heart :hearts

I vote for pure bredrescue bunny. :DI agree with what has already been said Your not only saving a life you're avoiding the cost of getting said rabbit speutered as well as all the hassel of a young rabbit. I recently got my first rabbit, a rescued mini rex and I think she's the best thing since shortbread cookies. But everyone will have their own likes and dislikes.

Visit a rescues or check the ads on websites like craigslist.

Cove wrote:
I vote for pure bredrescue bunny.

My best boy, most calm, and most lovable is my mixed breed bunny ;). Purebred or mixed breed...bunnies are all bunnies :p. I think mixed bred animals (though I do not agree with mixed breeding) have the best of the breeds mixed together!

I've even read that most mixed bred dogs are the healthiest, because if both purebreds are more prone to an health issue, it almost knocks each other out.

Oh I didn't mean purebred as in one breed. :) Though there is nothing wrong with that.

I meant it as shelter rabbit, I call my kitties "pure bred shelter cats" even though there is no way they are purebred but they do from from the shelter and that is the best "breed" of all in my eyes. :D

undergunfire wrote:
I've even read that most mixed bred dogs are the healthiest, because if both purebreds are more prone to an health issue, it almost knocks each other out.
I agree with that. My mom adopted a purebred West Highland White Terrier (Westie) and he has nerve problems (and a crooked "kickstand" leg). He also has a very dry, itchy coat. All three Westies we've had all had itchy skin. The Westie-Poodle mix we had didn't have any coat problems at all.

Mutts are great! They get the dominant genes from both breeds! :D

Purebred or not. Rescues are the best! :D They will always remember that you rescued them (they seem to enjoy life a bit more).

kherrmann3 wrote:

Purebred or not. Rescues are the best! :D They will always remember that you rescued them (they seem to enjoy life a bit more).

I have to agree with that! I didn't really rescue any of my rabbits (I guess you could say I rescued Magic& Autumn, but it wasn't from a shelter, just cramped/unsafe/uhealthy conditions).

Anyway, as long as I live I will probably have at least 3 rabbits living with me, and I plan on adopting some in the future, once my bunnies now are gone :(

Emily

I have my eye set on a mini-lop at the humane society here. If only my apartment manager would allow one more rabbit here...

I can see myself having multi-buns, as long as they were bonded. It's hard with two cages and trying to juggle play times.

Berry-Boo seems to have a "zest" for life that Toby never did. She binkies like mad down the hallways, while Toby just likes to pop up rarely. He was spoiled from day one. I am fostering Berry-Boo until she finds her forever home (she came from a high kill shelter). I get the warm fuzzies thinking about her being "spirited away" from that shelter.

We got our bunny from a pet store, not knowing what breed they were (I think he may be a Nethie cross now). I'm not sure I would do this again, having learnt from this forum how many buns need rescuing, but this was pre-forum.

My boyfriend (who has had many pets, including a rabbit, and who is great with animals) has a trick to choosing a new pet: put your hand in the cage and see who comes to sniff it. The ones who freak out and run away are probably going to need a lot more patience than the curious, brave ones who come and check you out! We picked Muffin up and he seemed fairly calm, that's why we chose him.

Dazzy? I would say any breed is a good breed. Buns aren't quite like dogs as far as breeds and being so different. So, any bun can work for you, it's just a matter of going to meet them and seeing how they react to you. Although, some buns can not like you so much upon coming home, but after a year or so, love you!:D Buns take alot of patience.:?

Your friend has a Jack Russell Terrier?;) If you get a new bun, especially one a bit skittish, you should keep in another room away from other pets. They need room and time to learn to trust you;).

Here's a section on dogs and rabbits from HRS, maybe it will help some?;)

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/dogs.html

I always learned that different breeds to have some overlying common traits such as energy levels. But it does seem to really vary on the bunny themselves. Netherland Dwarfs are the smallest breed and said to be the most hyper, but there are nethies that are very laid back and sweet. Lops (lops, mini lops, holland lops) are touted as being the most laid back and sweetest breed, best as first buns or for children, but not all of them are sweet even if it is a characterisitic of the breed.

I agree with everyone else. Get an older bun 1 1/2 years old or older from a rescue. Rescues have already neutered/spayed the animal which saves you $100, they have given it a vet inspection with de-worming and flea treatment, so usually they are quite healthy. Plus if for any reason it doesn't work out with that particular animal, you can bring it back to the rescue or shelter.

One thing you might want to think about is whether you want the maintenance of regualr brushing and grooming.. this would be necessary if you adopted a cute lionhead breed, jersey wooley, or angora. They are so soft and fluffy but that fur takes extra maintenance.

Good Luck! I'm bunny hunting for my 2nd bun atm and meeting a bunch to find the right one :biggrin2:

When I still lived at my parent's house, there were two West Highland White Terriers there, too. Toby had to co-exist with them. Granted, Toby lived in my room, but he beat the snot out of the younger dog, Jenny. After the older one (Bridget) passed away, we adopted Brody from the shelter. He was around three months old and no training (he came from a puppy mill that they broke up). Toby put Brody and his curious "puppy-nose" in its place.

SO, as far as terriers and rabbits go, it depends on the rabbit's (and/or dog's) personality. The Westies would TEAR after wild cottontails outside, but they knew not to mess with the odd gray grumpy one in the house. A rolled up newspaper works well, too. (NOT TO HIT - We would smack the dog with it once (to make the noise - not pain) then hit it on a counter to use the noise to our advantage. Once they knew what the newspaper was for, all you would have to do it wave it in the air and they'd behave). I don't recommend doing that around a rabbit :p

SO, depending on the terrier's disposition, they can live peacefully with a rabbit (under supervision).

thank you everybody :D

i mite not get one for quite a while though cuz we got a new dog not to long ago named teddy and his a pain up the but so i don't think it will be a good idea.

i will definitely keep the information for the future
THANK YOU !!:biggrin2:

kherrmann3 wrote:
They will always remember that you rescued them - yes - but they may not always "attach" well to you also....due to issues from their prior life.

I'm not against adopting rescued rabbits - I love Zeus dearly and am so glad I rescued him.

But life with a rescued rabbit isn't all roses and sunshine - just like life with a breeder's rabbit isn't all roses and sunshine. In both cases - there can also be some not so great things.

So whatever you decide to get - try to spend some time with the rabbit itself and get to know it and try to get a feel for if it will bond with you or play with you or whatever.

aww thank you becca and thank you for all the extra information from everyone else i am definitely trying to remember it all but i will probably start making a little booklet or something to reming myself :D

TinysMom wrote:
kherrmann3 wrote:
They will always remember that you rescued them - yes - but they may not always "attach" well to you also....due to issues from their prior life.

I'm not against adopting rescued rabbits - I love Zeus dearly and am so glad I rescued him.

But life with a rescued rabbit isn't all roses and sunshine - just like life with a breeder's rabbit isn't all roses and sunshine. In both cases - there can also be some not so great things.

So whatever you decide to get - try to spend some time with the rabbit itself and get to know it and try to get a feel for if it will bond with you or play with you or whatever.

Exactly!

Morgan was a rescue bunny from a rescue, and he just so happens to be my best bunny. Marlin and Brody came from breeders and they are most worst behaved. Marlin is very skittish, even though I have had him since he was 6 weeks old. Brody is very "flighty" and hates to be touched when he doesn't want to be touched.

Back