What you think of my idea?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
I need a temporary housing for my 3 rabbits to keep them outside overnight. Usually they went into garage to spend a night, but it's now too hot in garage without air-conditioning.
I can't afford a good quality outdoor hutch at this time so I came up with the simple idea (well, it seems simple for far)
I want to find a large sturdy wooden rectangular table in a thrift store. Attach wood pieces to connect legs on the bottom. Cover 3 vertical walls with hardware cloth. Leave one side open for them to come in and out. I don't want to make a small door as I suspect it would be hard to get them in when it's time. I need to use something completely removable that would be a "door" or a wall at night but could be completely removed during the day (they live in the yard during the day). Not sure yet what it could be.
I plan to have no bottom for now; if it turns out nice than we could think about making a bottom later. I can place it on the cement patio to prevent digging and throw a rug inside for them to lie on (and provide litter box). We don't have any predators passing by at night but I can't completely rule this possibility out of course.
I want the construction to be simple (no ability for a complicated hutch)
What do you think? is it worth it or not?

sounds like an excellent innovative idea. :) Seriously.. I love it. :) In case you DO have predators, grade up from the hardware cloth to proper cage wire, making the spacing one inch to prevent critters reaching in and causing damage.

Back