What you I didn't know could have killed her

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobunnynoclue

Reaction score
I had noticed that Fiona had just been laying around this week but that's what bunnies do... I did think it was unusual for her but I thought maybe she was just feeling more relaxed around me. So yesterday I did my routine cleanout and replenishing of hay, pellets, fruits, veggies, and she would not touch it. The red flags immediately went up. It was friday so I made an appointment with a vet and then picked her up to take a closer look. She had poop caked on and hard around her butt. I soaked her rearend, worked off the poop, got her clean, and dried her off. I noticed during all this, that her fur was just sloughing off. Seemed odd. I figured something was *really* wrong.

At the vet visit, to make a long story short, I was told it's digestive stasis due to the amount of fur she must be ingesting. The vet said that I really needed to start brushing her regularly. This came as a shock because after I had bought all the brushes, etc, to brush her off, I was told by someone with more rabbit experience than me, that it was not necessary to brush a rabbit. That they had never heard of such a thing and to not bother brushing her. Similar to how a rabbit is not supposed to get baths.

While at the vet, the nurse took off a MOUNTAIN of fur from her back. Then I went home and proceeded to pull off more of this old, dead fur.

Here's Day 1 (second mountain of fur) of shed removal.

IMAGE_7FECFE8B-F71C-48CE-ACBD-0D34E277BE8B.JPG

Here's Day 2 (3rd mountain of fur) of shed removal.

IMAGE_0409E3A4-81C5-4C65-BC5C-F70E64F89442.JPG

That last photo was today. I will spend more time on her coat tomorrow. She still has more dead fur on her...

So the doc sent me home with 3 medications for her.

Metacam (once daily)
Cisapride (twice daily)
SMZ/TMP (twice daily)

I think metacam is for pain, the other is other is to get her digestive system moving, and the 3rd is to settle her stomach.

The Vet also gave her a huge subcutaneous injection of fluids.

I'm not sure if she is eating but I will find out tonight when I offer her fresh veggies. Her rear was much better today. I had to clean her up after she had more loose stools last night, but this morning she had a little stuck to her fur but it was solid and looked more like cecals than mushy diarhea. With a full coat of fur off of her she looks like a skinny version of herself. Underneath she has a brand new coat of fur.

Anyways.. . it was an expensive way to find out that I need to keep her well brushed.

Get her started on some Bene-bac powder - That is a probiotic for animals and will help get her gut going and help with diaherra. http://www.drugs.com/vet/bene-bac powder.html 1/2 - 1 lb - l/2 level tsp 1-5 lbs 1 level teaspoon, 5-20 pounds 2 level tsp. ( teaspoons ) Mix it with some baby food or fruit juice, just a little and syringe it to her or get her to eat if off the spoon. For first couple of days every day, then 1,3,5 and 7 or every other day for at least a week. Rinse her veggies with water and give them wet, that help rehydrate her. If she doesn't want to drink, add a little apple juice to her water. Lots of hay, that hooks onto the fur in her gut and pulls it through. ABSOLUTLELY NO CAT FUR BALL MEDICATION that just coats the hay and causes a big mess. If she isn't eating enough take her back for more sub-q fluids and a vitamin B shot. That will help stimulate the gut and boost her appetite. Did they suggest if she was not eating enough to syringe her some critical care by Oxbow. Check last weeks thread under gi statis with Bruce, lots on info there, also in library.

SO... future reference what brush do you guys recommend? mine has short hair ... which for those of us who have long hair buns also....

I have every brush on the market but non work as well as lightly tugging at her fur with my fingers in places where I can see it is sloughing off. And I repeat *lightly tug*, not rip out. It doesn't seem to bother her when I do that. That is how I got all this fluff off Fiona.

I'm glad you caught the problem in time. Tuft pulling works for me, too. Some people use a lint brush.

You could stuff a small pillow with the hair you've removed.

The best thing I have ever found for bun grooming is a Furminator. I have one made for short haired cats; they have ones made for "small animals" but it's tiny and I feel it would take a long time to finish off a bun with it. It gets SO much fur off. Expensive (sell for about 50-60 here, I got mine as an open package and with a student discount for about 30), but worth it.

Yeah, bunnies definitely need to be brushed! Sorry you got bad advice from someone else :( Only 1 of my buns has ever had problems with fur in the belly, but I know to be super proactive with him. My favorite brush- actually, the only one I use- is a Furminator. It's SO GOOD at getting the fur off! I actually have to be careful using mine, once I accidentally gave Rory a bald spot on his back from brushing too vigorously. I got my Furminator (the blue one) on Amazon.com for a lot less than it sells in stores.

Yup I have thenfurminator too. Still my fingers worked best. I have the one for dogsm. Just way too big and I feel I'm hurting her using it. But I noticed the one for cats I'll have to try that one on the bunnies

For mine, I just wet my hands and then rub them like crazy all over the bun (then rub them on my jeans, to remove the hair from my hands. LOL). I also pull out the dead little tufts. Except for Spaz. He looks like h*ll right now, but you can't even touch him so he's on his own. :(

Wow, poor bun. I use different brushes for different buns.

Houdini is an angora, so he gets a rake, slicker brush, and combs for details.

Sophie and Becky have "normal" fur, so they get the zoom groom rubber brush.

Gary is a rex, so I don't really brush him. He molts in little tufties that I just pick off.

Perhaps the person that said they didn't need to brush had a rex? That's the only thing I could think of to explain it. When the buns go into a molt they really need help so they don't ingest so much fur. I also give them papya tablets to help digest what they get.

WHOA! Thats a lot of fur!!

I would have to recommend The Furminator!

We got this for my moms dog (big puff ball) and it was amazing. So i bought one made for cats. Best brush ever!

Latest posts

Back