What would you do? When a bun stops eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strings393

Jamie & Mat
Reaction score
So this morning I woke up to one of my rabbits making quite allot of noise. I found that it was my largest fur-ball Piglet. She was jumping around her cage. When I went to calm her, I realized her cage-mate Penny wasn't acting normally. Penny (despite his name is a boy) is very shy mini lop and usually will try to hide when I put my hands in the cage. Penny was lying down and wouldn't move around too much. I offered him some pellets (They go nuts for their pellets). He refused the pellets. I offered him banana he refused that too. I brought out the big guns and offered him his favorite treat: cat food. (I know bunnies shouldn't eat cat food but a few pellets of it are my last resort.) Penny has a reputation for gas so I game him 0.4mL of Metcam. I felt his tummy and it didn't feel bloated at all. While I was fighting him with the syringe of Metcam, I noticed his thumb nail was bent the wrong way. It then fell off. I also found that his water bottle fell off during the night. So I offered him a small dish of water that he's been drinking out of like crazy. He's wandering around the room like normal and is exploring like normal. He just hasn't eaten yet. I have a rabbit savvy vet in the area but they are closed today and are taking emergencies only. If I make an emergency appointment it will be about double the price of a normal visit. So it could cost upwards of $300. (My husband and I are college students so money is super tight till I get financial aid in January) I have critical care, met-cam and pumpkin. Should I make an emergency visit when I feel like they may just tell me to syringe feed him critical care and met-cam and see if he improves? Or should I wait it out till tomorrow and take him for the more affordable visit? I plan on waiting to see if his conditions improve by 3. The last time I saw him eat was 2am this morning.

If his waterbottle fell and his thumbnail is bent, I would suspect the bottle hit him, causing an injury of some sort that's giving him pain and a subsequent loss of appetite. Bunnies are very good at hiding ailments so he may be trying his best not to show any pain, but I would still recommend a vet visit to check him over, especially since he won't eat. Not eating is definitely a sign that something's up.

Back