What would I need for an angora?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyBlessings

Katherine
Reaction score
I have wanted an angora for several years now, but have never actually gotten one, due to worries about the grooming needs. But I'm SOOO tempted to just break down and get one!

Now, I just got Grace about 3 weeks ago, and I already have a large cage (30"x54"), food, water, toys, litter pan, etc. I also have an x-pen to let her run around as well. (I'd let her run free in the house, but the house isn't bunny-proofed, and we have three cats as well. So I do let her run some, but just in protected areas at the moment.) It seems like she might be still adjusting. She doesn't like being held much yet and hates getting her nails trimmed, although she does enjoy being petted. I wonder if it's too soon to get another bunny, especially an angora that requires so much more attention.

But if it's not too soon, what would I need in addition to what I already have? What do you do with the wool? Do you store it or spin it into yarn? Or sell it? Or do nothing and just pitch it?? I know angora wool is a commodity, but I have no idea what I would do with it myself.

Thoughts, please?

Angoras are a fair amount of work. Even if you don't want to do anything with the wool, they still need to be groomed and sheered on a regular basis. At the very least, you will need some brushes and combs as well as someone who can shave the rabbit for you. If you are more serious about using the wool, a blower is a good idea and getting your own clippers does help.

If you are not sure you can keep up with the grooming or don't really know what it will all entail, I would suggest trying to find someone who has an angora who can show you. Breeders can be a good option, even if you would prefer to rescue a rabbit, don't want to show, and just want a pet. Someone knowledgeable with an angora is a good option as well.

Angoras do have some other specific needs compared to a rabbit with normal fur. They are susceptible to heat and humidity, and the cold when they are sheered (probably not as much of a worry in Florida). They can need more protein to help grow the wool, so you may need to work with the diet to find what works. Hay is needed in the diet, but can also be messy in the fur, so it is best to keep it contained.

I do have an English Angora and have had a couple Giant Angoras as well. I don't keep them for the wool, I just have the personalities and fluffy pets. I do shave the belly between shaving the whole body. This helps keep them a bit cleaner and cooler, the wool on the belly is not usually used anyway. Brandywine is litter trained, so she is on a solid bottom cage (many breeders use wire bottoms to help keep them clean). I use fleece in the cage for comfort and she has a cat bed. I feed her Oxbow pellets and it seems to work for her.

I kind of thought about angoras too, but for the time being, this video totally cured me of the urge LOL

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHgdov5fBVo[/ame]

What do you do with the wool? You mail it to me! :D

I have wanted an angora for several years now, but have never actually gotten one, due to worries about the grooming needs. But I'm SOOO tempted to just break down and get one!

Now, I just got Grace about 3 weeks ago, and I already have a large cage (30"x54"), food, water, toys, litter pan, etc. I also have an x-pen to let her run around as well. (I'd let her run free in the house, but the house isn't bunny-proofed, and we have three cats as well. So I do let her run some, but just in protected areas at the moment.) It seems like she might be still adjusting. She doesn't like being held much yet and hates getting her nails trimmed, although she does enjoy being petted. I wonder if it's too soon to get another bunny, especially an angora that requires so much more attention.

But if it's not too soon, what would I need in addition to what I already have? What do you do with the wool? Do you store it or spin it into yarn? Or sell it? Or do nothing and just pitch it?? I know angora wool is a commodity, but I have no idea what I would do with it myself.

Thoughts, please?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Well, I FINALLY got to watch this video, and it is so informative! Thank you! Lots to consider. I kind of still want one, but my hubby's not quite on board yet. (He's worried about the expenses and the time required to care for the bunny.) But we'll see. Maybe we can work something out. :)

For day to day care, an angora is not really any more expensive than other breeds. You do need to grooming tools, so that can add up but most are one time purchases. If you did need someone to sheer the rabbit for you, that can get expensive, so it can be cheaper in the long run to buy clippers.

Having a 2nd rabbit does up the costs of feed, litter and other basic supplies as well as the time needed to care for them. Angoras do need more grooming, so that can add time. The longer the coat, the more maintenance it requires to stay in good condition. You do get about 4-6 weeks after sheering where there is not as much grooming since the wool is shorter.

Spinning your own Angora wool is pretty simple. There are tons of YouTube videos, and you can order a simple drop spindle on Amazon for cheap. Even if you don't want to do that you can simply sell the raw wool on sites like Etsy :) Congrats on your fluffy bunny!

Latest posts

Back