What would be a better idea?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larissa

Reaction score
So I just got my bunny, Emma, on the 18th and my Dad now wants me to go away on a vacation for May long weekend. I said no at first, but our family got a new therapist who is coming with us on the vacation, and apparently it is very important for me to come to help with understanding and solving family dynamics (my family is a bit messed up haha).

So I can do three things, either take Emma with me on a private jet, put her in a boarding kennel, or not go at all. Not sure what would be the best to do.

Do you have any friends who would be willing to watch bunny? I have a rabbit savvy friend who watches my buns when I need it. When I have her watch them I give her all their medical/vet info, general info on what's normal for them, measurements for their food etc. I wouldn't board if you didn't have to as being around other animals/in an unfamiliar place is very stressful.
It's not unheard of to fly with bunnies, but also not a good idea unless it's completely necessary because it's also very stressful.
Best option for me is a responsible, trusted bunny sitter.

Do you have any friends who would be willing to watch bunny? I have a rabbit savvy friend who watches my buns when I need it. When I have her watch them I give her all their medical/vet info, general info on what's normal for them, measurements for their food etc. I wouldn't board if you didn't have to as being around other animals/in an unfamiliar place is very stressful.
It's not unheard of to fly with bunnies, but also not a good idea unless it's completely necessary because it's also very stressful.
Best option for me is a responsible, trusted bunny sitter.

I could probably get a friend to come to my place for an hour everyday and be with her/ tend to her. I'm just nervous that she'll be lonely at night, since she normally hops up into bed with me and sits with me for most of the night. And what if I come back and she hates me! I have no friends she could actually go to. The flight is only 45 minutes and she would be in her kennel on my lap, though I doubt it would be very enjoyable for her.

My biggest fear is that if I stress her out or make her lonely she will change the way she acts around me permanently. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I'm a concerned bun-mom!

I travel quite often and have a really close relationship with my bun (and a okayish with my newest bun) and when you come back they do tend to be a little miffed that you left. But honestly, they get over it in less then a day, and if not they can't stay mad forever (especially if you have a banana!) I feel like the flight would be too much for her, taking a bunny on a plane should only be on emergency only or if you absolutely have too. Buns are pretty okay and comfortable with staying in their own area with a temp houseguest rather then leaving. It is okay to be a pretty protective bun mom, but if this vacation is important to your family I say go and let your friend watch her. <33

But try and see if your friend can offer a little more than an hour a day as that isn't enough attention - especially if bun is locked in a hutch and doesnt have a big area.

Its just the weekend. She will be fine being left at home even if your friend comes for 5 minutes.
Their way better left at home then brought elsewhere.
So that or just dont go at all.
It wont kill her to not have free time either while youre gone.

I think the best option is to get a friend to come by. Boarding conditions are not at all good for a bunny. We regularly sit for one of our friends, once for almost 3 weeks--the only problem is I didn't want to give her back.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to get my friend to watch her at my place. She'll have my room to run around in all day, hopefully she wont begin to chew on anything but I'm more concerned about her than my furniture haha. Thanks again!

If you're leaving her out unsupervised double check that there are no cords she can get her teeth on. In the past when I've gone out of town for a few days I've set up an exercise pen in my room and allowed them access to just that pen and their cage instead of the whole room and had a friend come over and check on them.

Back